Time Warner and NBC Serve Up a Slap for Apple

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]LOL to Apple. When you only control 8% of the market, you don't call the shots.[/citation]
8% in the US, not globally.

Though I believe HTML5 and Flash should be an option. They both have their uses.

frozenlead

Distinguished
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Quote from this page:
"Adobe claims that we are a closed system, and that Flash is open, but in fact the opposite is true. Let me explain.

First, there’s “Open”.

Adobe’s Flash products are 100% proprietary. They are only available from Adobe, and Adobe has sole authority as to their future enhancement, pricing, etc. While Adobe’s Flash products are widely available, this does not mean they are open, since they are controlled entirely by Adobe and available only from Adobe. By almost any definition, Flash is a closed system."

Uhh, did I miss something? Replace every "Adobe" with "Apple" in the last sentence, and it comes with the same result. Then they go on glorifying themselves on WebKit, which originally began on Linux anyway, completely glossing over the fact that their products control a crap ton more than Adobe's do.

A perfect, clean, and very public reminder of why I hate this company.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Here's another from the same page:
"There are more games and entertainment titles available for iPhone, iPod and iPad than for any other platform in the world."

AHAHAHA. If you seriously think your crappy app store has mad more games for it than the PC, you are very, very, very wrong. There's no way the app store can compare with the volumes of games that have been created on and played on PCs for decades, now.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]axe1592[/nom]I love iTunes! I HATE that the songs I buy from there cant be played on anything BUT iTunes.[/citation]

You pay for music?

Seriously though, I would buy more CD's if they weren't vastly overpriced (and there's no way in hell I'm paying for MP3's).

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
[citation][nom]doorspawn[/nom]However, for the first time, I am 100% on Apple's side.Flash is a poor, dying, anticompetitive technology... ...Anyone who is sticking with flash is making a very bad business decision and will lose much custom.[/citation]

Last time I looked Flash was doing anything but dying. I don't think flash is anticompetitive, I use software (SwishMax) other than Adobes for my Flash creation. Flash is too slow, buggy and often abused (by advertisers) but it is still a very useful tool, both for video and games. Also, don't forget the role flash has played in killing real player which was/is a huge load of camel turd.

If you are on Linux64 then flash/media/website developers aren't concerned about you anyway as you're a tiny part of the market.

frost7500

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
come on guys. flash for mobile devices is not a good thing. If the reports are true and the iPad loses a TON of battery life with Flash enabled then yes, disabling Flash is the right thing to do. Apple should have at at least given the consumer the choice though. imo Adobe is fat rich and lazy at the moment and they will be replaced.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]So why doesn't anyone cry about Google since as far as I'm concerned, they're the main force behind HTML5 adoption. You people act like you have stock in Adobe or something. Just pitiful.As far as NBC, what do they have that anyone wants to watch anyways? Their most popular shows are the Office and 30 Rock, and they're dwindling. They screwed over Conan. And their one big sensation (3 years ago) Heroes has been canceled. They should be bending over backwards to reach as wide an audience as possible.[/citation]

I would just like to see Apple go belly up.

jakthebomb

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
when are the media companies going to learn, Flash is crap. I have hatted it since its first implication. Yes 90% of the internet is flash, here is a question, is it a good thing? Flash is just like a bad PS3 port, it is slow, inefficient, and is a closed source platform. HTML5 may be behind but is much better for the future of the internet. Apple knows this, they are going to be hatted by some for the decision not to include flash compatibility. It is going to be much better without flash. once YouTube goes 100% HTML5 and removes flash, it will be a major slam against Adobe. the other issue is Adobe's reluctant to updating the Flash platform to support 64bit, they are holding back 64bit development. There are 64bit Browsers, but most people don't use them, Why? Flash only works on 32bit Browsers.

Battery life is crap when using flash on my laptop. I can get 7 to 8 hours of video watching Without Flash. The moment i use flash the time gets reduced to 2 to 4 hours.

Flash is more of a burden than its usefulness

Status
Not open for further replies.