Too many widgets - How can I get rid of them..??

AndroidAl

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
Good morning guys/gals..

My tablet is just a generic 10.1" 1.3Ghz Android 5.0 Lollipop (however I don't think make/model is that important here). I like it and it runs well..

I have installed a few (perhaps up to about 15) apps of various descriptions and I was shocked yesterday when I went to copy one of the new installation shortcuts from the Apps screen to the home page, and went a page too far into the Widgets screen, or should I say "screens". Heavens above, when it was new less than a week ago, I had one or two extra screens of widgets, but now I have seven or eight and they are all associated with apps I have installed. One good thing is that they disappear of I decide to uninstall the app.. I wont ask if this all this is normal because I am sure it is, but...

1). I don't really know what a widget actually is (I am very new to Android and tablets). They seem to have reference to the installed apps but when I tap on them it just tells me to hold down on it to do whatever.. Just what is a WIDGET and how does it work..??? Silly question I am sure but I have to learn some time or another...

2). Is there any way I can remove all these screens of widgets..?? I have tried the hold down and move to the 'X' on the side but it doesn't happen with widgets.. I can start the app(s) with the normal shortcut icon and don't really feel the need to have all these page stealing widgets, unless they serve a real purpose...

My tablet now takes a little longer to boot up (maybe another 10 seconds or so) and probably like with Windows on a PC, that just means too much extra stuff building up, so maybe these widgets could serve me better by NOT being there, taking up resources unnecessarily...

Google makes plenty of references to either question but does not give any positive or definitive answers for me... You hints or opinions will be appreciated...

Al

AndroidAl

Estimable
Jul 6, 2015
Thanks for that Titillating...
I've sort of found a little bit about them since my post but I'd really like to get rid of most or even all of them. They just clutter up system resources or storage room, I'm sure...

I'll visit your suggested link. Many thanks...

Al

Just further to this reply - I have found that you can't actually remove widgets at all (as in from the App Drawer pages) but of course, you can remove the widget shortcuts on your home screen. Unfortunately, I wanted to actually remove the real widgets, not just the shortcuts made by holding and dragging them - Oh well, never mind. At least I found out now...

Al