Solved! Too much bass!

Jul 3, 2019
I have a newer ViZio with a somewhat older Yamaha HTR-5930 Receiver. I have a fire stick plugged into my Television, the sound works just ok, but way way too much bass that drowns out the voices of the programs.
I’ve tried everything to no avail to adjust this. What am I doing wrong?

Solution
How did you connect the TV to the Yamaha?

Have a look into your manual and search for bass related settings:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/324827/htr-5930_manual.pdf

In the set menu you can try to alter the low frequency effect level between -20dB and 0dB (SP LFE)
Also have a look and alter settings in set menu -> bass out -> ID bass

Is the option "TONE BYPASS" set to AUTO ?
Did you adjust the Tone control -> Bass/Treble +- setting?

In the set menu you can try to alter the low frequency effect level between -20dB and 0dB (SP LFE)

Solution
Jul 3, 2019

I’ve adjusted the tone control and low frequency effect. No help.
I’m not a tech gadget person at all. Would it be better to try the fire stick to the receiver?

Jul 3, 2019
The firestick can´t be connected to the receiver, because it needs a HDMI port.

Which Vizio TV model is it?

Is the audio connected via optical out (TV) to optical audio in (receiver) ?

I honestly do not know if the audio is connected via optical out (TV) to optical audio in (receiver). The TV is a ViZio E500-A1 50-inch 1080P 120 Hz LED. I can, however, hook it up the way it should be if you could kindly tell me how? Thank you.

I don't think it matters how the TV is connected to the receiver.
Are you getting too much bass with other sources (TV tuner or FM radio)?
If the problem only happens with the stick then check the audio settings on the stick.
If you get excessive bass with everything and have a subwoofer then turn the subwoofer volume down. You can do this on the back of the subwoofer. If you don't have a sub then the tone controls on the receiver should be able to reduce the bass. Check the owners manual.
The closer to walls and the floor your speakers are the more bass they produce. Speakers in corners will have louder and less flat bass. Raising a speaker off the floor will reduce bass too.

Jul 3, 2019
I don't think it matters how the TV is connected to the receiver.
Are you getting too much bass with other sources (TV tuner or FM radio)?
If the problem only happens with the stick then check the audio settings on the stick.
If you get excessive bass with everything and have a subwoofer then turn the subwoofer volume down. You can do this on the back of the subwoofer. If you don't have a sub then the tone controls on the receiver should be able to reduce the bass. Check the owners manual.
The closer to walls and the floor your speakers are the more bass they produce. Speakers in corners will have louder and less flat bass. Raising a speaker off the floor will reduce bass too.
Turning the subwoofer down worked!! Thanks for your time and knowledge.

TRENDING THREADS