Too Much Information: Canceled Security Talk Deemed Too Risky

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Nah. They threatened him if he held the presentation. Since exposed security holes lead to patches almost 100% of the time (unless the operators are completely irresponsible, in which case we have a much bigger problem than a public presentation), such a cancellation is irrational. I can't believe that a security expert would embrace a "security through obscurity" approach.

curiosul

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
You can avoid facing reality (uncovering security holes). But then you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality (cyber attacks).HOWEVER, in a country where FEELING SAFE is praised (way) more than BEING SAFE (what? there's a difference? who knew?), that's expected.And google is so stupid for paying people to find software bugs!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Part of performing ethical hacking research is being discreet with vulnerabilities that you discover. You first give the entities that it would impact time to evaluate and duplicate your findings then make a plan to mitigate the issue weather that be patching or replacing, duplicating or hardening of infrastructure.If a bunch of men in tinted out SUV's dressed in black suits came to my house and told me the contents of my speech next week could lead to terrorist activities disrupting the lives of thousands or millions of people and causing untold damage to critical infrastructure systems and potential loss of life I would have a serious reconsideration of who I disclosed that information to as well.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
This wasn't about unpatched software or some random security vulnerability, this was about methods and concepts used to attack a target.

Status
Not open for further replies.