Top 3 How-to Guides Winners from Computing.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Aside from the relentless spam o_O (captcha anyone?) I'd like to comment on the winning How-To Guide if I may..

In Step 6 he says to disable the PageFile completely.. Yes he says recommended for 4GB + of RAM, but I believe Toms did an article on Memory levels and suggested to leave the PageFile enabled unless you had 8GB or more?

Also, you may be better off just changing the PageFile to a secondary HDD as most SSD users will have a HDD secondary drive for data. Whilst this is not very performance friendly, it stops the likelyhood of an application crashing due to not being able to access the PageFile. Even if you set it to only 500MB-1GB..

fusion_gtx

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
In the SSD guide the file path in Step 8 is incorrect. It should read "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters"

The same thing applies to Step 11.

Overall not a bad guide, but not something that should be used at face value. The writer mentioned testing before and after Step 9. I would go so far as to test before and after every step. Some of these improved my performance, others did not. To be honest, windows had defaulted most of the settings to what the guide suggested.

My SSD - Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1

banthracis

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Um, easytune is just pure fail. Overclocking using automatic v adjustment, seriously? Better off just doing it in BIOS any day.
Software OC programs have a bad habit of bricking systems, and never actually optimize an OC. In addition, they just use generic guaranteed to work in 99% of cases settings that pump way more voltage into a CPU than needed.

Here are a couple of much better guides from 5 minutes of browsing through the site.

PC building Guide
http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/guide-to-building-a-pc/509.html

Network Connectivity Troubleshooting
http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/diagnose-and-overcome-a-network-connectivity-problem/556.html

duk3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Congratulations tecmo34 and the other winners! Thanks for the contributions with the guides and the help you give people on the forums

Status
Not open for further replies.