Top Half of TV Screen Shaded Black

Vykefan4life

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I own a UN40F6350 Samsung TV. From one moment to the next, while watching TV, the screen went to black. Seconds later when I tried to turn the TV back on the startup screen flickered on and off and would not turn off or on. After pulling the plug, the red IR light stayed on for many seconds longer than normal.

I tried to reset by unplugging and then holding the on/off toggle in the back for 10 seconds. Nothing changed. Service guy came out and when he turned on TV, it seemed to start up ok, but with a slight flickering of the startup screen. He changed out two boards, but after doing so, realized that the slightly flickering remained, but now the top half of the screen was shaded black.

He put the original boards back in and went on his way. A few days later, I tried the above reset and same issue with the shaded black. I then decided to reset the whole thing using the menu. After doing so, the screen when to #$%^ and then I heard a clicking sound coming from the back of TV and smelled a burnt smell. WTH!!! I took the TV to garage to remove the back and could still smell that burnt smell, but nothing looked amiss.

I then the TV back on and no clicking or more burnt smell, but then look at this picture of what the screen looks like now.

Any thoughts?

My thought is that the TV is dead. Since someone already replaced the boards, I doubt you want to keep trying parts in the thing and spending more money.

A used working 40" TV is maybe $150-200 for a very good model, and not much over $200 new for a low end model.

Vykefan4life

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

Right so that means the boards did not fix it, which means you need to look at a screen replacement or paying more for more troubleshooting. Cheaper to replace it I would think and a lot less hassle. Plus you can go up in size to a 42-46 and still find something near the repair costs.

Vykefan4life

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011