Torn - buy a laptop or wait on skylake

civey149

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015
I'm torn and have been trying to decide what to do. I want a new laptop for gaming and video editing. I am looking at the Sager NP 8268s I have never owned a sager, but the specs are pretty sweet. It has the following things that I am intersted in:

970+ GPU
Blu-Ray/DVD RW
8 GB ram
Dual HD - one SSD (boot) and one HDD (storage)

my question then comes, with skylake on the near horizon, should I wait or not? Can I get by? yes, but only using my laptop for basic computing (i.e. word docs, excel, etc). My desktop can get me by on my video editing a little longer. However, I cannot play any games any longer and I prefer utilizing a laptop over my outdated desktop too. What do you all think? pull the trigger now or wait? Is skylake going to be that big of an upgrade or will the speeds be nominal and the bells and whistles just average?

I will almost certainly need the upgrade by the end of the year for my job and for continuing my education. Is there a better option. The sager would cost roughly 1500, is there anything reasonable that doesn't have problems with heat or a crappy screen that cost less? Anyone who owns a sager, what do you think? Is the build quality up to par or is it hit or miss?

Any advice or guidance is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solution
For gaming, I don't think its worth waiting as most games are gpu intensive rather than cpu intensive. For video editing, maybe as the cpu will make a huge difference if you are multitasking a lot between programs which is common when video editing.

Personally I would wait as not only is the performance increase going to be worth it, you can buy older models for a cheaper price if you think that the performance gain is not worth getting the new cpu.

civey149

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015

For what I am working with video editing wise, it won't be too intense on a regular basis. From everywhere I read, 8 GB should be plenty at this point and 16 is complete overkill. Plus, it is always something I can add to later if needed.

For gaming, I don't think its worth waiting as most games are gpu intensive rather than cpu intensive. For video editing, maybe as the cpu will make a huge difference if you are multitasking a lot between programs which is common when video editing.

Personally I would wait as not only is the performance increase going to be worth it, you can buy older models for a cheaper price if you think that the performance gain is not worth getting the new cpu.

Solution