Toshiba A100-065 starting issues

roryj

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Hi All.
I've decided to re post this problem with more detail as my last post may have been unclear having read frozenleads excellent piece on A100 disasembly.
I have a an issue which despite fixes ,upgrades and new parts I cannot sort out.
Intally it started as a blank screen on powering up or should I say screen with lines on but no display you could here the the boot up noise/music but no display,
so I plugged it to an ex monitor and all was fine through it password in and away it went!
but still no deplay on its own screen so on advice bought a new screenthrough (www.milburn electronics.co.uk) and even a treated it to a new key board as the old one had lost a button.all duly arrived and fitted but alas to no avail except that the screenis now a brighter blank if that make sense.
so next stop was fit a new inverter board could be faulty so hunted around the net found a source and fitted it on arrival.
And still the same problem no change.
I thought it could be the graphics card Ihave reinstalled checked and re checked all setting video crd ect and now I'm wondering if it could the the motherboard ,though as it still works fine on the ecternall this doe's not make sense.
please any one any ideas?

frozenlead

Distinguished
The problem was the exact same way through all of this? There was no change in the screen lines at all?

If what you're saying is true, I'd say you have some sort of motherboard/GPU problem, but that's generally not the case if external monitors work.

When I'm at a loss as to what's wrong, I usually take the notebook completely apart, then reassemble it. Generally something catches my eye in the process, and I find out what, in fact, was wrong.

roryj

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Hi frozenlead
the screen changed for after replacing from the lines to a more white blankness the back is all certainly working,once before in put in yhe new inverter board the desplay came up but all blurry,it has not done this xince.
I will strip it down again and look for anything obvious.
r

roryj

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
sorry about the spelling mistakes in my reply should be backlight and display!!!
also its on vista if that make any difference

roryj

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
hi frozenlead finally found time to dismantle the A100-065 again and cannot see any obvious problems all looks ok to me I have follwed your post carfully and my toshiba is indentical to your brothers by the look of it.

roryj

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
hi agaian ive stripped down and inspected the A100. and put everything back together per instrucions no obvious issues found.still the same screen kind of a lit blank and all working in the bacground when ex monitor is plugged in on reboot works away fine except that Ive foolishly turned off the dual screen option so can only read it in safe mode.
weird at this stage in completly lost as where to look next

frozenlead

Distinguished
Well, this is the trouble with notebook LCD screen issues; they're awfully expensive to diagnose, as you have no parts to test with other than newly bought ones.

Assuming the parts you've got work correctly, the only alternative left is to replace the motherboard. I have difficulty on finding a path to say that the board is, in fact, faulty if it works with an external monitor...but you bought a new LCD and it still doesn't work with that. It's an expensive choice you have to make - it's entirely likely the cost of a new LCD, inverter, and motherboard together is enough to get you a brand new notebook.

roryj

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009

hello frozenlead
yes I am facing that situation alright nothing make sense to honest I will put the old lcd and if it cahnges anything thats for advice so far
r

roryj

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
hi again sorry about the spelling mistakes but I'm you know what I mean
everything starts as it should but to blank/lit screen have tried plugging the screen out and in again in case there is a connection problem fn key f3/f8 but no differance.
will let you know how the old screen works with the new inverter board ect r