Solved! Toshiba C650 won't run off battery

Jeppepi

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
Hi

We have been given a Toshiba C650 and it all works great except that it won't run off the batteries. When AC is plugged in, all is well. It detects the battery, tells us it is at 61% and charging but won't move off this. If we start it on AC without the battery it can tell there is no battery.

I have tried a new battery, same issue. I then changed the motherboard thinking it was a charge sensor issue and again, no change. What else can it be?

Thanks in advance

Solution
it could be the charging port. It could be the charger. If the charging circuit was part of the original motherboard that can't be the issue, however if it isn't part of the motherboard (is on a separate one) then it could also be that.

Jeppepi

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

Hi

Sadly, no, it won't charge while off - or at least, Windows says it is still on 61%. The old battery did exactly the same thing, also on 61%. It acts like there is no battery fitted in every other way, won't stay on if you unplug the cord and won't switch on if the cord isn't plugged in.

Jeppepi

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

One is aftermarket, one is OEM. Both behaving the same way! I changed the Mobo so that looks after the connections question I guess. This change made no difference whatsoever. Could it be the jack? Not sure how the jack could stop it running off batteries though but it is the only thing in that system left unchanged...

Jeppepi

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

Makes sense. They are only about $10 so I'll get one and let you know how it goes.

Jeppepi

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
Fixed!!!!

Turns out, battery was faulty too. So long story short, no dice with old MoBo and original battery. Thought it was the battery, got new one. Same issue. Got new mobo, same issue (using new battery). Fit new jack, no change. Tried old battery again and presto!

I'm not sure if the old mobo killed the new battery or if it is just faulty, but the original battery is working now...