Toshiba i7 laptop not working, have tried nearly everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe D

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
Hello, I have a Toshiba P70-A laptop which I desperately need to get running again. A few weeks ago it turned off out of the blue while I was using it. This had never happened before, apart from when the battery had died, so I thought hopefully it was just some very random thing. In the week and a half following that it turned itself off again about 5 or 6 more times. It seemed like it might be an overheating issue because it seemed to do this after I had been running it for a long period of time w/ lots of stuff processing and when I tried starting it up again right after the shutdown it would shortly shut itself down again so I had to wait a while before attempting a restart. Finally it shut down again one night and I waited until the next day to start it up though when I tried to start it I got nothing. The power indicator light was not on and absolutely nothing would happen when I tried to start it up. I used a multimeter to check the power supply, which was ok, and checked the power line connecting to the motherboard, and that was ok too. I tried the holding the power button for over 30 seconds trick as well and got nothing. I ended up buying a new motherboard hoping that would solve the problem. Once I installed the new MBoard a power light indicator did come on on the computer once it was plugged in though as soon as I hit the power button a 2nd light would briefly flash and then both lights would turn off, followed in a second or two by the original power light coming back on. I tried the battery reset trick again with no results as well as removing all of the ram, the HD, & DVD. The only time anything different happened is once when I did not screw the CPU in completely the fan briefly came on and then turned back off. Now thinking that possibly the CPU had gone down along with the original motherboard I have bought a new CPU. I literally just finished installing it a little while ago though still get the same exact results - the power light is on when the power cable is plugged in though when I push the power button a 2nd light comes on for a split second, then both lights go off, and shortly after the 1st light comes back on indicating that the laptop is plugged into power. I've tried the reset again, tried using a different power adapter and different outlet, and still nothing. Can someone please tell me if there is any other possible thing go look at here? I do suppose that either the replacement CPU or motherboard could be bad as well though the dealers I purchased them from do say they had been tested and the motherboard was definitely like-new.

Thanks,
Gabe

Gabe D

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
Ok never mind, a cable was plugged in where it shouldn't have been and it was causing some sort of a short and my computer was acting exactly like it did with the bad CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS