Toshiba L50-A overheating to ~100 degrees when gaming. Already opened it up and cleaned out dust.

Strike2223344

Estimable
Oct 17, 2015
I've had this laptop for nearly two years now. I've just started playing a new game on it, Rocket League.

When idle/browsing, the CPU temperature remains at around 50-60 degrees celcius. However, when playing Rocket League, even on the lowest possible settings, it jumps to 90-100. Once it gets above 99, it limits performance and I get lower FPS in game (drops from 60 to around 45-25). The computer does not shut off. On other games, the CPU temperature will increase similarly, however it will not rise above 99 degrees and won't drop my FPS.

Things I have tried to fix the problem:

Changing in-game game settings to the lowest possible
Opening up the laptop and cleaning out the fan (there was basically no dust in there).
Limiting my computer's CPU maximum processing state to 60/70/80% (I still get the normal 60 FPS, until the computer throttles performance).

It seems almost like the output produced is too much for the computer, or it's cooling is broken/designed poorly.

My computer's specs are:

Intel Core i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz
12 GB RAM (note: it originally had 8, but I sent it in for repair previously because the motherboard failed. The technician at Toshiba gave me more RAM as a goodwill gesture apparently)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M
Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I'm just not sure what the next step should be. I don't want to sent it to a professional for repair if possible, nor buy a cooling pad if possible. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

BadAsAl

Distinguished
I wonder if they did not properly apply the thermal paste on the CPU when you had the motherboard replaced? It is very likely they used the existing CPU on the new motherboard. That will definitely cause overheating.

If you are comfortable with taking apart laptops you can get some good thermal paste and reapply. If not you'll have to find someone to do it for you.

Strike2223344

Estimable
Oct 17, 2015

I didn't think of this, I would have thought that an actual Toshiba technician would be skilled enough to do this properly. However it could be what's happening as I can't think of any other reason it would consistently overheat to 90-100 degrees.

I'm comfortable with opening it, is reapplying the thermal paste a hard thing to do? Would I need to take out many components? Is there much risk of breaking anything if I take reasonable care?

Thanks

yimmi

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
it is not tha diffcult to apply thermal paste but if you haven't done it before it might get a headache there are many guides though on youtube that show the procedure for any laptop step by step.The only thing I imagine is that the technisian didn't remove the old thermal paste in order to apply the new,also check if your cpu fan is actully working

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Do a search for your model number and "service manual". If you find the service manual it will tell you exactly what to do to get at the processor. Or you can try fixit.com or search youtube as there are often videos on how to teardown your laptop.
As long as you are careful and follow the directions (and keep track of which screws go where!) you should be okay.

I hope the tech did it correctly but that is the only thing I can think of right now that might be causing this issue.