Toshiba L850 really slow throttling and restarting.

LaptopMunter

Estimable
Jan 29, 2015
i brought this toshiba second hand it seems to be lagging im positive this is a hardware related issue i have confirmed the hard drive is working well. windows is fresh install. temps seem low enough power supply is working good battery is going good. but the ivy bridge is unclocked severly it takes 10min to boot.. if it boots. could it be because ram timings are wrong or 1333mhz is bad and it needs 1600mhz

Doubtful it's a ram problem, default ram speed is 1333MHz for DDR3
I would primarily focus on heat here (the symptoms fit). How are you monitoring temps and has the laptop been disassembled and cleaned?
I might also suggest the use of a driver sweeper program to clean up any possible driver conflicts (also fits the symptoms)

LaptopMunter

Estimable
Jan 29, 2015
used throttlestop temps are 36 - 52 under load not too bad!! =) i monitor it and it seems to go way past turbo boost (3.3ghz) and draws 140watts goes to 4.4ghz and freezes. so i disable turbo boost

LaptopMunter

Estimable
Jan 29, 2015
i cleaned the ddr3 slots with isopropyl alcohol as no matter which ram i used it would always freeze laptop isnt freezing anymore, it is still slow but think i need give mobo a clean

What BIOS version does it show? The ability of the laptop to exceed "turbo" has me wondering if the BIOS has been modified. If the BIOS version shown is old or unrecognizable I'll suggest flashing to a proper Toshiba BIOS version for your model - it's something to check.

LaptopMunter

Estimable
Jan 29, 2015
it had me thinking all about power management ic, bios seems sweet i flashed a new one from the toshiba website i desoldered the pci-e wireless slot because i have tried multiple working wifi adapters and they werent recognaised in device manager, so im working backwards from what i believe the problem is, i have given up on the wireless and am using a usb dongle. have disabled internal lan in bios to prevent this odd cpu current draw and clock scaling issue. and cleaned the motherboard and ram slots with isopropyl because i suspected liquid damage and that solved the freezing issue i have a stable laptop its all good from here!!! thankyou for being so open minded. its takes someone like this to be a great laptop repairer.