Solved! Toshiba laptop only turns on while plugged in

Nov 10, 2018
My Toshiba Satellite S50t-B can only be turned on while plugged into charger and turned on at outlet. If I turn off the power it stays on fine but if I turn it off, even though battery is fully, it won't turn back on unless I reconnect to charger. I have already bought a new battery and that has made no difference.

Solution
Not like a car no. If it is saying it is charging and it shows the charge going up, then it is working. The battery is connecting to the laptop, etc. Since it will stay on when you have it on already, and run from the battery, the only option I can see is that the battery is not putting out enough power to start it up. Which does take more. If the battery you got was off ebay, it may well either not be new, or be aftermarket. Either can have that issue.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
The new battery, is it an OEM one or aftermarket? If it is the latter, it may actually not work correctly. Also, check the connections between the battery and the laptop to make sure they are meeting properly.

When the laptop is on, what info does it give you on the battery?

Nov 10, 2018

The battery I bought is just a replacement off ebay but I don't think that's the issue. The replacement is acting the exact same way as the original battery.

When laptop is on it tells me its on, charging, current charge and time. All looks normal.

I read somewhere about a start up switch or something like the ignition in a car. Is there a part like that for a laptop? Maybe that's the problem, not the battery itself.

Not like a car no. If it is saying it is charging and it shows the charge going up, then it is working. The battery is connecting to the laptop, etc. Since it will stay on when you have it on already, and run from the battery, the only option I can see is that the battery is not putting out enough power to start it up. Which does take more. If the battery you got was off ebay, it may well either not be new, or be aftermarket. Either can have that issue.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Solution