Toshiba Portege R500-S5006V can't boot

hackintosh777

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
I have an old Toshiba Portege R500-S5006V (from 2008) that I want to give to my brother after I got my new Satellite E55t-A5320. The reason I got this new one in January is that the Portege would crash if I moved the screen in any way. This past week, I tried to resurrect the laptop to give to my brother, who was using an IBM ThinkPad X31 (yes, an IBM) running Windows XP, of course very dangerous on the net.

The specs are as follows:
Intel Core 2 Duo U7700 @ 1.33 GHz
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 RAM
500 GB 5400 RPM Hitachi HDD
Intel GMA 950 256 MB graphics card

Now this laptop has had a history of problems. It used to be my dad's, who dropped it and broke the original 160GB 5400RPM hard drive, in addition to losing a screen hinge cover and who knows whatever else inside. The hard drive got replaced with a Hitachi 500GB 5400RPM which it still has today, and Windows 7 Pro 32-bit was installed.

I inherited this laptop in 2012 when my dad got an i7 MacBook Air. It was great until October 2013, when my school's IT guy said he would speed up my computer by increasing the size of the page file. Then, it started blue screening (the first ever for that laptop) with stop 0x7A (KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR). Then, last December, the screen randomly faded white and I would have to force it off. And then, in January, the laptop would just turn off when I moved the screen.

This past Monday, I tried resurrecting the laptop. I realized that the screen turning off problem was due to an unlocked battery, which was literally a two-second fix. Then I was able to successfully boot into Windows 7 Professional 32-bit SP1 (build 6.1.7601). It was running very slowly, so I decided to dual-boot with Linux. I tried using Disk Management to shrink the C: partition, but that didn't work. I tried using sfc /scannow to see if corrupt files were the problem, and surely enough, it found corrupt files that it couldn't repair. I couldn't make heads or tails of the info in CBS.log, so I ended up reformatting the drive as I did not need any of the files.

Yesterday, I first installed Windows 10 Technical Preview (build 6.4.9841) without any hitches. Then, I installed Kubuntu 14.10 Plasma 5, again without any hitches. The laptop ran perfectly fine, even fast, until this morning. It booted into the GRUB menu fine, but when I tried to boot into Windows, it tried to update to the newest build (6.4.9879). This was fine by me, and I left it to sit and update. However, it turned off and again rebooted into the GRUB menu. Booting into Windows resulted in no Windows logo and a black screen, so I tried to boot into Kubuntu. This gave me a glowing Kubuntu logo like normal, but then, the screen turned off while the laptop kept running. The next time I tried to start it, it hung on the Toshiba BIOS screen for about a minute, then gave me this strange Intel Boot Agent error as follows:

Intel(R) Boot Agent GE v1.2.45
Copyright (C) 1997-2007, Intel Corporation

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
Insert system disk in drive.
Press any key when ready...

I thought the botched Windows update screwed the bootloader up, and tried starting from my external WD Essentials 1042 drive which had a working Windows 10 Technical Preview (build 9841) installer, and I can confirm it works since I booted my new Satellite E55t-A5320 from it. This resulted in a black screen with a flashing cursor. I tried using a Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (build 7601) ISO with the same result. I have no certain idea of what's going on, but I think that the BIOS is screwed up. Do you think I should just give up on this and ditch it, or do you have any advice? I'm OK reformatting the drive since there's literally nothing of use on it as I wiped it yesterday. Note: I'm not a noob with computers and feel reasonably comfortable using the command line and BIOS interface.

TL;DR: My old Toshiba Portege R500-S5006V won't start from both the HDD and an external USB port after a botched Windows preview build update. It can get to the BIOS, and that's it.

Warukyure

Estimable
Go into BIOS, check to see if it lists the HDD still. Also try removing and re-seat the HDD. If you're still getting that message, your HDD is shot because your laptop is giving a message that its trying to network boot which one happens as it goes down the list and theres nothing to boot from (Usually USB boot is lowest on the boot priority.)

Also, either a) make a Bootable Live USB stick or DVD with whatever flavour of Linux you want, press F12 at BIOS screen and manually select disk or USB boot whatever you have plugged in. See if you can get it to load. Then from inside, try to access the HDD.

hackintosh777

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
I can't get to the BIOS at all. I can get to the boot devices list, but can't boot from a USB stick or the hard drive, which was mentioned in the first post.

EDIT: Successfully got to the BIOS and booted from a Lubuntu USB but won't start from my Windows Technical Preview (9879) stick.

hackintosh777

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

I tried installing Xubuntu 14.10 which detected the hard drive and installed without glitches, but it couldn't boot off the hard drive after that.

hackintosh777

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014

Would it make any noises though? As far as I can tell, it's not making any abnormal noises.