Solved! Toshiba powers on, but screen is black

Alevvy

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
Our family owns a toshiba laptop that has been giving us this problem lately. There will be moments when we try to power the dang thing on, and while the keyboard lights are on and the fan is running, the screen is still black. However, there are random times when the laptop will power on like normal and still function properly.
I've started to question if the problem is just the screen itself, ever since the screen's pixels would randomly glitch from green and red as a reaction to presses and tilts of the screen.
I have read too many threads to count all with the solution to take the battery out, and press certain keys as it powers on, etc. I'd like to know if this is something I can fix at home, or if it is something that needs to be repaired by a professional.

Slow Pri

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
You may need to reinstall Windows. You'll need a technician to pull of the data if needed from the drive and than reinstall the OS. Assuming that you haven't dropped your laptop. It's possible that the OS is corrupted or HDD failing.

Are you able to access the BIOS at start-up?

Alevvy

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017

As far as I know, I cannot. The screen will not power on with anything I do to it, so I can't find out if I can access BIOS or not.

Alevvy

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017

Plugged it up to the tv, and no video on either screens as I powered it on :(