Solved! Toshiba Satellite C55 - how fix backlight problem?

mke48

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
System:
Toshiba Satellite C55

Problem:
No display at all - just black screen. No logo screen or anything when powering on. But when I hook it to an external monitor, then the screen shows up and it seems to work fine. If I shine a flashlight on the screen without the external monitor, I can barely see the desktop screen

Scenario:
My mom who was using it said it dropped from the bed to the adjacent countertop

From what I read about this laptop online, it seems the problem is with the backlight. How can I fix it?

Last edited:
Solution
First check the button on your keyboard (most laptops have one) that will either be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it. If that button was pressed when it fell, then it may have switched the display off. It doesn't happen all that often, but it can occur.

Should that not work, then try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

It is not likely the above will resolve it, but it can't hurt to try. I say this as since you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your likely problem.

The cable could have just gotten knocked loose, or it could have damaged the display when it fell.

If it is under warranty...
First check the button on your keyboard (most laptops have one) that will either be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it. If that button was pressed when it fell, then it may have switched the display off. It doesn't happen all that often, but it can occur.

Should that not work, then try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

It is not likely the above will resolve it, but it can't hurt to try. I say this as since you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your likely problem.

The cable could have just gotten knocked loose, or it could have damaged the display when it fell.

If it is under warranty, then I would contact the manufacturer. If not, then you may want to try a local tech.

Solution

mke48

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

If it is under warranty, then I would contact the manufacturer. If not, then you may want to try a local tech.

I noticed by following the steps at the link below, when I shine a flashlight on the screen, I am able to see the desktop image, so I guess that means the problem is with the backlight: https://itstillworks.com/12380718/how-to-fix-a-toshiba-laptop-screen-that-wont-come-on

The F4 button seems fine. CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B doesn't fix the problem. I don't see the pin for the backlight as mentioned in that link

Depends on if you can get the part and easily get inside the device. Some are easier to get into than others.

You might be able to find a walk through online either in text or possibly a video to show you how to do it. I would also call a few techs and see what they would charge. If you can find the part, price it as well and see what is the better option.