toshiba satellite c655 wont turn on.

Gam3r01

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Hello, one of my friends from school has the toshiba satellite c655 and has explained to me it wont turn on and they could not get it to work. So now it was handed over to me and from what i have seen with or without the battery, or the power cable attached nothing turns on or any lights.

Solution

Hi.
If you are sure that power adapter is OK then try to twist a few times the base of the laptop.
The goal is to make small mechanical twist over the mainboard of the laptop.
If you manage to power ON after that than you laptop mobo is about to fail.
If you can`t power on than mainboard is faulty.

Nikolay Savov

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

Hi.
If you are sure that power adapter is OK then try to twist a few times the base of the laptop.
The goal is to make small mechanical twist over the mainboard of the laptop.
If you manage to power ON after that than you laptop mobo is about to fail.
If you can`t power on than mainboard is faulty.

Solution

Gam3r01

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Well i tried the twisting approach and sure enough its turning on. When you said the motherboard is going to fail soon, how so? Are the connections becoming faulty or is there something more serious? And it just turned on and had an error, i shut it down, and it launched into a repair windows or start normally screen. It seems to be running fine but just to be sure.

Gam3r01

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

EDIT the screen just went black and will no longer turn on.

Gam3r01

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

So its most likely the motherboard and not just a connection issue to the motherboard? Sounds like my friend is going to be out a laptop.

Nikolay Savov

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

Yep ...
The solder technology is more like "clueing" and with time of using the chips of the Mobo got clue-out. Most of the cases south or North bridge - depends of the model - are need for rebol procedure or resoldering to get work again.
I`ll consider new laptop just in case :)
Sorry and good luck.

manxe

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

What on earth are you talking about when you say "twist the base of the laptop"?! Do you mean put the laptop on a flat surface and rotate it? What is this supposed to accomplish?

Working on a solution to my own problem, I came across a solution. Try it to see if it works:
remove battery and cable
push the power button for one minute
put a charged battery in
push the power button

If that doesnt work, look at the plug socket of the power connection. They can be unseated and fall inside.

Nikolay Savov

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

No not this :)

You grab the base with bot hands.
You right hand tries to twist the right side clockwize and
you left hand is trying to twist the left side contraclockwize and then you repeat in reverce ......

The idea is to make weak force over the motherboard .......
All laptops that i have repeared from motherboard failure are reacting on this tests ..........

ZhoneR

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

I wiggled the plug socket and sure enough it powered on could this mean its shorting out my motherboard??

Last Person

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014

Maybe. Maybe not. Most likely in that scenario you have a loose connection. If the jack is solder on the board it could have been a cold solder joint and worked loose. My Toshiba Laptop doesn't even solder on, it has a cable lead that plugs into the board further up. But if you twist the connector and it works, I highly doubt it is the mobo going out. It is a connection issue.