Question Toshiba Satellite P55W-B5318D won't stay on for more than 3-5 minutes

workingmomjd

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
I have a Toshiba Satellite P55W-B5318D laptop, bought new years ago. Over the years I have disassembled it several times, replaced the fan (couple of years ago), upgraded the ram and hdd and, in the last month, have removed the battery and replaced the power on/off switch cable. This thing is my right hand and I really don't want to replace it. ANY ideas would be appreciated.
Shortly after turning it on a few months ago, it began making a loud fan noise. After a few seconds, it quieted down and was fine. I kept an eye on the temperature, but had no problems. At the next boot, the same thing happened, the noise being more pronounced and lasting a couple of minutes. Once the noise stopped, it again ran great with no further issues until I powered it off. When I booted it up the next time, it went black after 3-5 minutes. I repeatedly tried to boot it over the next week, but was only able to make it past 3-5 of logging into Windows one more time.
So I'm a logical person. Normally, if someone said they heard loud fan noises and then their laptops started randomly shutting down, I'd say you have a bad fan, right? But I know it's not overheating. So I pulled it apart to visually inspect the fan and noticed that the power button on/off switch terminal on the lid (physically next to the on/off switch) was missing the black clasp portion that was supposed to secur the flat cable. I ordered a replacement and three days later, reassembled it with the new terminal and flat cable in place. It booted up perfectly and ran great for about a week, at which time I performed a routine cleaning operation and attempted to reboot it, only to have it shut down minutes after logging into Windows again. I haven't been able to get it to stay on long enough to fully open Chrome since.
The fan is clean and appears fine on inspection. It's not even staying on long enough to heat up. All terminals and cables appear to be in good repair on visual inspection. I've tried the hidden reset button by the hdmi port, removed and reset the battery. I've tried it with and without the battery installed, as well as using battery power alone. It doesn't display any error messages or warnings before going black. Nothing works.
Ideas? Anything?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I suspect, given its age, that some components on the motherboard are becoming flakey. Could be just about any thing on the motherboard.

If you don't have a good backup for your files, you should make one ASAP.

You may have to replace the motherboard, or the entire laptop.

workingmomjd

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
I suspect, given its age, that some components on the motherboard are becoming flakey. Could be just about any thing on the motherboard.

If you don't have a good backup for your files, you should make one ASAP.

You may have to replace the motherboard, or the entire laptop.
The answer I was dreading. I've got everything backed up three ways, thankfully.