Solved! Toshiba satellite Ultrabook usb boot fail!

davgnzls

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
im trying to boot my usb with this toshiba laptop so i can install an os but when i use either UEFI or CSM, it just tells me that i need to "insert system disk in drive. press any key when ready."
even when i have my usb inserted and i tried all ports. actually in UEFI it just goes straight to my main hard drive, whilst im actually trying to boot into the usb, i noticed when i do try UEFI, it has a toshiba load up and then the screen jitters back to toshiba loading screen again and it seems like its resetting and booting to my main hd instead of the usb. i really need help here

Solution
If you know that the USB stick is good, Windows 10 setup should see a USB3 port normally. Do you have a USB2 port you can try it in? Did you check with Toshiba support? Some laptops prevent booting from certain devices. A few I have had you need a specific model of drive for the system to see it.

davgnzls

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017

I’m in school rn and the laptop model isn’t really popular (ultrabook satellite toshiba.) I did prioritize booting in the usb and selecting it when I choose boot option, when I try to startup on it the screen just flickers which I’m assuming the computer trying to boot the usb and failing. After the flicker it would start up into the normal windows 8 I had previously installed which is what I didn’t want. It is usb3.0 and it’s windows 10 I’m trying to install on another drive I have installed.

If you know that the USB stick is good, Windows 10 setup should see a USB3 port normally. Do you have a USB2 port you can try it in? Did you check with Toshiba support? Some laptops prevent booting from certain devices. A few I have had you need a specific model of drive for the system to see it.

Solution