Toshiba Satellite won't power up

Toshibasat

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Hello,

I have searched for my problem and I cannot seem to find one like it. When I press the power button the indicator light comes on but it does not power up.

With the battery plugged in again it does not power up, yet the indicator light comes on. I have tried the holding the power button trick, this does not fix it. Also the indicator lights stay on until I remove the battery from the laptop.

I took it to tech repair who could not fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ste

Solution
Hmm, I would think that then your motherboard may be the culprit. You have the option of replacing it yourself, if you feel comfortable, or having someone else do it for you.

NOTE: If the device is still under any warranty, then you should contact the manufacturer about having it repaired/replaced.

Toshibasat

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Thanks for your suggestion but I have tried the power button (holding down) yes without battery and disconnected. It does not fix the problem.

The power cord I know works for certain as I use it for two Toshiba's and it works on the other, no problem. I could buy another power cord, but I doubt this is the problem and I do not want to throw money away. Strangely since I have had this problem it has worked again twice (in a month or so ) with no ill effects, only when I come to boot it up again it fails to work. I cannot seem to understand what I have done to make it work again.

Please advise. Thanks

Toshibasat

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Which port? I just opened it up and it seemed ass though everything was connected. I removed the RAM and replaced it again, trying each socket with the same result.

I am now in the process of heating it, as suggested in another post, although I have just wrapped it in a jumper and put it in a backpack and plugged it in. (Not in a firehazard sort of way)

My last option is just to sell it for spares and repairs. More suggestions are indeed welcome and instructions on how to check the port

I am referring to where the charger cord goes in. See if it wiggles at all. If so, that could be another cause.

If the battery was going or gone I could see it acting up, but then if you plug it in, with the battery out, and it still won't boot up, it obviously isn't the battery.

You get no signs of life/sounds from it internally at all when you go to power it on? I ask because sometimes it isn't the laptop but the display that isn't turning on, even though the device did turn on.

Toshibasat

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
No it does not wiggle and I can charge it to full (battery indicator changes from orange to white when fully charged). Also when it has worked (twice) it has had a good chunk of battery each of the times.

Apart from the indicator lights the laptop shows no signs of life. No sound of fans or beeping or anything of that sort.

Hmm, I would think that then your motherboard may be the culprit. You have the option of replacing it yourself, if you feel comfortable, or having someone else do it for you.

NOTE: If the device is still under any warranty, then you should contact the manufacturer about having it repaired/replaced.

Solution