toshiba satellite Z30-B100 graphic performance

antuk

Estimable
Aug 16, 2015
Hi, distinguished members. I have bought this laptop a couple of months ago, and despite assurances I had been given, I am very disappointed with its graphics performance. It has an intel HD graphics 5500 video card, 16 Gb ram, 350 ssd hard drive and i5 processor. Very slim and light with promising configuration, isn't it? However, running photoshop CS6 is frustratingly slow, lightroom 6 almost impossible to run. I intended to post process my raw files (nef) on this machine while on travel, unfortunately - almost impossible. My questions to you:
1. is there a known solution for this problem?
2. can this machine be boosted in order to enhance its 2D graphics performance?
3. is there a software that can virtually enhance this graphic card's abilities?
5. any other ideas?
Thanks for any help on this folks.
Shmuel.

Solution
Can't see that the graphics can be upgraded and it has the Intel HD 5500 graphics (built in to the existing CPU) ... no discrete graphics card as such. Crap graphics is your first problem.

16GB of RAM is great though, and the SSD is great ... no probs there.

The i5 in that model is a new one but I can't tell which one? An i7 would be better.

An ultrabook is a tough choice for what you wanted in the first place ... you can't cram everything fast in a tiny case.

Here are some decent alternatives. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_9Cg1YmumQ

Can't see that the graphics can be upgraded and it has the Intel HD 5500 graphics (built in to the existing CPU) ... no discrete graphics card as such. Crap graphics is your first problem.

16GB of RAM is great though, and the SSD is great ... no probs there.

The i5 in that model is a new one but I can't tell which one? An i7 would be better.

An ultrabook is a tough choice for what you wanted in the first place ... you can't cram everything fast in a tiny case.

Here are some decent alternatives. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_9Cg1YmumQ

Solution

antuk

Estimable
Aug 16, 2015
Thanks for this Reynod. Seems that I simply mis-configured the poor machine. I switched the energy saving mode from the default balanced performance and energy consumption, to the high performance mode, and voila, the machine started rocking... Thanks anyway.