Question Toshiba screen

Mar 8, 2022
I have a Toshiba satellite C55 laptop and trying to connect a second monitor for my projects. However, when I connect a second monitor the screen automatically displays on the second monitor and the Toshiba screen goes blank/black and I can't switch from screen to screen. I can't get the Toshiba screen to display.

Mar 8, 2022
Are you saying that the FN key that toggles between display modes (internal only, external only, internal and external) doesn't seem to make a difference?
Hi, Thank you for responding. Yes, when I attach the monitor cable to my Toshiba laptop it goes blank and the desktop is immediately displayed on the second monitor. I tried using the "FN" key and the "F5" key, but it won't display the option to toggle to the laptop or second monitor or both. Therefore, while I have the monitor cable attached to the laptop only the second monitor is displaying my desktop.

Mar 8, 2022
I'm sorry, I'm new to this "forum" as of today. I replied in the wrong place.
Hi, Thank you for responding. Yes, when I attach the monitor cable to my Toshiba laptop it goes blank and the desktop is immediately displayed on the second monitor. I tried using the "FN" key and the "F5" key, but it won't display the option to toggle to the laptop or second monitor or both. Therefore, while I have the monitor cable attached to the laptop only the second monitor is displaying my desktop.

Mar 8, 2022
What operating system are you using on this old rig?
I appreciate your help very much. Please let's be kind and professional. My operating system is Windows 7 (64 bit). I will be going for an upgrade, but can't just yet. Should I have one cable running from my external monitor to my laptop or should there be two? Thank you!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I appreciate your help very much. Please let's be kind and professional. My operating system is Windows 7 (64 bit). I will be going for an upgrade, but can't just yet. Should I have one cable running from my external monitor to my laptop or should there be two? Thank you!
One cable. Not sure what the professional comment is in reference to. Old wasn't meant as anything other than the age of the technology and its limitations, same would hold true for the OS. Not a criticism at all. Good to see it still meets your needs, albeit with some risk.