Solved! Toshiba start up, HDD sound then nothing

Sep 15, 2019
Hi

I have found Tom's forum helpful in the past by reading posts. I've tried a bunch of things but nothing has worked so I thought I'd post my situation. I've looked at a few other posts on the farm but haven't done anything matching my condition.

Toshiba L55-B5276
Win7
At least 4_5 yrs old

Symptoms
A few months ago it stopped waking up when I opened the laptop; it would not come out of sleep mode. I found it a little annoying to have to hold down the power button, and then totally restart the laptop but I did not do any troubleshooting. About two weeks ago I did the normal hold the power button, let the computer shut down, and then press the power button again. This time nothing happened only the lights came on, the screen was black, and the fan was spinning. no beeps.

Troubleshooting so far:
  1. I've tried multiple times to shut down and restart, and each time I hear the hard drive start to make sounds, but then after about a second it stops.
  2. Connecting external monitor. nothing.
  3. Reseat ram. Use just one stick. Ram in different slots. No Change.
  4. Held power button down for 30 seconds, 1 minute, and 2 minutes w battery removed. No change.
  5. start up with just AC power connected, battery removed.
5.Looked on Tom's forum for similar posts.

Is a blown motherboard in any way visible, or can I smell something if the motherboard is blown?

I'm sensing that after all this troubleshooting, it may be a new motherboard or to get a new laptop. Any thoughts suggestions appreciated.

Thx
Matt

Solution
For a display only problem try the following. Note: Depending on how/when you plugged in the external monitor, it may not show anything, so am including correct instructions for that.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor...
For a display only problem try the following. Note: Depending on how/when you plugged in the external monitor, it may not show anything, so am including correct instructions for that.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Now should you get the display issue fixed and still have the sleep issue, then try the different options below for that...

Try this...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and click the "Power Options".
  2. Next to the plan that is currently selected click "Change Plan Settings".
  3. Now click "Change Advanced Power Settings".
  4. Open the "Sleep Setting" and find "Hybrid Sleep"
  5. Change/set it to allow.
  6. Now click "Apply" and then click "OK".
  7. Finally shut down and power up the computer.

You can also try updating the power management drivers.

First make sure that the laptop is using the most current version of the power management software. If not, update the drivers. Follow these steps:

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then click "Device Manager".

2. Double click and open "System Devices".

3. Right-click "Microsoft AC PI-Compliant System".

4. Now choose "Update Driver Software".

5. Carefully read all the instructions onscreen.

You may wish to also repeat these instructions, but right-click "Microsoft AC PI-Compliant Embedded Controller" in Step 3. (if located on your system)

If this doesn't work, you may need to go to the laptop manufacturer’s website and search their support section and locate any new power management drivers for your laptop make and model.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not remove any AC PI entries. Doing so may disable some of your laptop’s power management features, such as the ability to put it to sleep by pressing the Power button. It is also a tad complicated to reinstall those features, so best to avoid the problem all together.

Reactions: bigchainring
Solution
Sep 15, 2019
Ok. I did the 4 steps exactly as listed with the external monitor plugged in 3 times. Still nothing on the monitor-- monitor light went orange each time.

I tried the key combination for graphics driver reset. Still same.

Is there anything else I can try before I move to getting a new motherboard? I'm almost tempted to find a laptop exactly like the one I have just so I have spare parts.. is that a bad idea given how old is laptop is?
Thx

Bad idea or not I can't say. I mean if you can find a very cheap working one that is exactly the same, and you feel comfortable swapping parts, then I can't see anything wrong with it. Just make sure that the one you are getting is exactly the same and fully functional.

Otherwise, should you need to get parts, just make sure the cost of new parts, or new parts and work if take it to someone, is worth it versus a new device.

Sep 15, 2019
Refurbished laptop close to the one I had before just arrived. I'm hoping I can just put the old hard drive in the refurbished laptop..plug and go. I chose this option because I'm an old laptop I also had a hinge that was broken and figured it would be breaking more if I tried to use it in the future..