Toslink thru HDMI

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

That's what I use mostly. I don't need to switch sources since anything connected to the TV by HDMI can use the single S/PDIF toslink optical out of the TV. I also don't have HDMI in on my receiver. Thunderbolt is the one that still has issues. Maybe I'm not understanding the question since I don't know of a TV that has optical in.

tshing02

Estimable
Oct 6, 2015

Yeah can be hard to understand question easily. I will paint a picture. lol
99d748d65bc8ab484b1388560ad05a53.jpg
So if I put that at both ends of the hdmi cable thats in my wall, then connect the toslink at both ends is what I'm looking to do. The question is would the hdmi cable act as a bridge to connect the tv out to the receiver in. This way I can continue not have any wires showing.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

You say the TV has an optical out so you don't need the adapter that you show. I'd say the answer is that not only does the TV output TV audio, but any HDMI input. Newer receivers have HDMI connections that can pass both audio and video along.

tshing02

Estimable
Oct 6, 2015

I have an older receiver that doesn't have hdmi, I dont want to show a wire running down my wall from the tv to the receiver. I have 1 usb and 1 hdmi hardwired in the wall that isn't being used. When watching movies thru the smart tv services, I can't currently use my surround sound. So was wondering if that connector at each end would work.

GearUp

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Now it makes sense to me. Usually you just have to try it. The issue that could arise is synchronization of audio if it isn't coming from the TV. Delays can be programmed but I'm not familiar with that. I'd guess that the problem is the Smart TV service not providing surround sound. I only use stereo but the receiver indicates 2.1 etc. depending on the source. That's about all I can offer.