Toyota Issues Recall Over Prius Braking Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Seems they should have informed all owners regardless of how minor of an issue it is or was.

Seems someone has never watched Fight Club... :p

Take the Number of vehicles in the field (A), probable rate of failure (B) and the average cost of settlement (C).
Multiplying them together A*B*C=X.
If X is more than the cost of doing a recall, they don't do one.

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]Seems someone has never watched Fight Club... Take the Number of vehicles in the field (A), probable rate of failure (B) and the average cost of settlement (C).Multiplying them together A*B*C=X.If X is more than the cost of doing a recall, they don't do one.[/citation]

I think you mean that if X is LESS than the cost of doing a recall they don't do one.

However, Toyota prides itself on customer loyalty and safety. What price would you put on that? Due to their hessitation and disregard, their resale values, customer loyalty, and reputation have taken a beating and are expected to continue to fall for a least a few more weeks.

buckinbottoms

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
So, first its floor mats. Then its sticky gas peddles. Now its faulty brakes.

Where will the wheel of blame stop next or will an actual solution present itself? Toyota admits on its recall site that this is only a "Possible" solution. Crazy.

bad_code

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]Seems someone has never watched Fight Club... Take the Number of vehicles in the field (A), probable rate of failure (B) and the average cost of settlement (C).Multiplying them together A*B*C=X.If X is more than the cost of doing a recall, they don't do one.[/citation]

Don't need to have seen fight club to know why they didn't do anything. It's called business! Shareholders are more important than anything else.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
[citation][nom]retirepresident[/nom]No matter what Toyota still makes better vehicle then U.S.[/citation]

Idiot. You do realize that a lot of Toyotas are made in the US, right? No, dumb@ss, you probably don't. Oh and by the way - Toyota is the new GM - blinding arrogance and all.

AtomicFireball

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
All cars have neutral and an e-brake, no? Sorry, you didn't win a lottery, you bought a car with a defect. All you get is a trip to the dealer to fix it, you litigious clowns.

buckinbottoms

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]atomicfireball[/nom]All cars have neutral and an e-brake, no?[/citation]
Yeah, pulling the e-brake at 90 is a brilliant move. Please go try it and tell us how it worked out for you, if you survive... Well that is wishful thinking on my part as most ebrakes are designed to let go over a certain mph.

And NO, you can't simply put all these cars in neutral. I hope you don't find this out the hard way. All of these cars have electronic controls, not physical linkages, so you have no control over what the car is doing unless the computer interprets your actions correctly.

You need to use your brain for a moment. Head over to toyota.com/recall and watch the videos on what you need to do for cars that do not allow you to switch into neutral while the car is moving.

jurassic1024

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]Idiot. You do realize that a lot of Toyotas are made in the US, right? No, dumb@ss, you probably don't. Oh and by the way - Toyota is the new GM - blinding arrogance and all.[/citation]

They build Toyotas in Canada too. Saying some Toyota's are built in the US, doesn't make Toyota a US COMPANY!!

Atomicfireball didnt say US "made" Toyotas were better than US "made" GM's. I gotta love how people misinterpret what you really said and try to argue something totally off topic. It's sad you got any thumbs up for this. Looks like I'll be deleting my account soon and stick to shaking my head at comments like yours in the hopes it would make yourself look intelligent.

bikerman7502002

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Everyone should do research before they talk about issues like this. The major issue is that Toyota was pushed into a recall that didn't need to happen. The prius brakes aren't failing, they simply don't have feel for that first few seconds, but they are stopping the car.

to fireball: unless you're drifting you never "pull" the ebrake hard in the way you're referring. In an emergency from highway speeds you want to slowly and gradually use the ebrake until the car comes to a stop, the same as never slamming on the brake pedal, even with abs.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6620540/recalls/wild-out-of-control-toyotas-baloney/index.html from motor trend.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q1/toyota_recall_scandal_media_circus_and_stupid_drivers-editorial from car and driver

To Tomsguide... I know this is big news all over, but except for the small amount of cases with actual flaws this is a nonissue and toyota is going overboard to please customers and our government. I trust you more for accurate news than most, and yet this hasn't been researched at all.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
^ well said.

I am in the market for a new car right now and even with all the recent recalls Toyota, they are still in my top two, Toyota or Honda.

(I drive a 02 Grand Prix now, i am not a foreign car kinda guy)

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]bikerman7502002[/nom]Everyone should do research before they talk about issues like this. The major issue is that Toyota was pushed into a recall that didn't need to happen. The prius brakes aren't failing, they simply don't have feel for that first few seconds, but they are stopping the car.to fireball: unless you're drifting you never "pull" the ebrake hard in the way you're referring. In an emergency from highway speeds you want to slowly and gradually use the ebrake until the car comes to a stop, the same as never slamming on the brake pedal, even with abs.http://blogs.motortrend.com/662054 [...] index.html from motor trend.http://www.caranddriver.com/news/c [...] -editorial from car and driverTo Tomsguide... I know this is big news all over, but except for the small amount of cases with actual flaws this is a nonissue and toyota is going overboard to please customers and our government. I trust you more for accurate news than most, and yet this hasn't been researched at all.[/citation]
+1 Well said!

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]buckinbottoms[/nom]All of these cars have electronic controls, not physical linkages, so you have no control over what the car is doing unless the computer interprets your actions correctly.You need to use your brain for a moment. Head over to toyota.com/recall and watch the videos on what you need to do for cars that do not allow you to switch into neutral while the car is moving.[/citation]Bingo. When you step on the gas pedal in a drive by wire equipped vehicle, you're suggesting it open the throttle plate. What actually happens at that point is up to the hardware (sensors, ECM) and software. Same goes for the transmission. Throw the shift lever into N, you're just suggesting that the computer shift it into neutral. With the throttle open (perhaps against your will, say in the event of catastrophic software/hardware failure) while you're flying down the road, if you try to shift into neutral the computer just might say "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."

Status
Not open for further replies.