TPB: The Delusional Recording Industry Must Be Stopped

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]mortsmi7[/nom]According to RIAA: Since peer-to-peer (p2p) file-sharing site Napster emerged in 1999, music sales in the U.S. have dropped 53 percent, from $14.6 billion to $6.9 billion in 2010.Or it could be that the current crappy music has caused me to not add anything new to my music collection in about 5 years.[/citation]
In my opinion, I don't think you can deny that the internet has had an impact on sales of music in the past 10 years.

You say, nothing good has come out in 5 years, but wouldn't previous generations say the same thing about our music? That is just how I am looking at it. I am going to take a guess and say you are in your twenties? Kids today pirate music more than when we did in our later teens.

I remember when I begged my mom to buy me Slipknot: Iowa in 2001 (was 14 or 15). Napster was in it's infancy, and portable CD players were still big. My mom also saw no reason to get the internet. So, my only choice for music were CDs. And still bought CDs up until a couple years ago. Really haven't lately because I have better things to spend my money on. Even music that I have pirated over the years, I have the bought many of those albums. Many I wouldn't have bought in the first place. I self proclaim myself as an "audiophile", so I want the music as the artist intended. But then you are getting in to vinyl and DACs ;)

Now, fast forward to today, almost every device is connected to the internet, there are so many places and programs to pirate music, and streaming services like Pandora. So, I think there are other factors other than piracy that have affected music sales.

Just my thoughts :)

richarduk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
The industry needs to find a new funding model. Allowing others to take free copies of music and games you have as well as downloading free copies is theft. Clear and simple. But I don't see anyway you can stop this. It is hard to make advertising to pay and developers will not put so much effort into making free games as they do with their pay for games.
Websites need to take responsibly for content they host, a friend has a former no1 Android game where a video on youTube shows how to hack and copy it. He has been trying to get youTube to pull the video, he just gets stonewalled!

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Real musicians want you to steal their music like Trent Reznor who's released his stuff on Pirate Bay

Fuck all the rest that want you to pay $15 for their turd album, even if its good its not worth what they charge

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom].99$ for a song on itunes is too much. artists should be competitive with their prices instead of shelling out trash for a buck.[/citation]
0.99c/song is perfectly ok,if you can afterwards have right to have it on CD, ipod, car, phone, simply whenever and whereever you go.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
The recording industries are the biggest job hurters out today. When an independant artist tries to market themself they are generally limited to social media and services like youtube. To get on a radiostation, it takes a record company because of the power they have to control the radio stations.

While I don't really listen to rap, there are a few independent people in my area who are decent at it.Some of the tried to get their music on a radio station (in hopes of them at least playing their song in the middle of the night where it is relatively low risk to test out new music.

Radio stations like hot 97 basically told them that they cant accept any music from independant people because the record labels will get pissed at them.

The riaa says that music piracy causes jobs to be lost, well how many jobs are lost when these companies use their power to keep people not affiliated with a record label from being listened to by the public?

Very few independent artist become successful and it has nothing to their talent, there are many extremely good artist where the only thing keeping them from truly reaching their dream, is the blocks set up by the same record companies that cry about piracy.

Radio stations are basically paid slaved to the major record companies where they are only allowed to play the music that the record company tells them to play and playing any unwanted competing music will cause financial issues for the radio station.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
RIAAsholes crying reminds me of that South Park episode: "They toooook urrr jobsss"

They are pathetic, I hope they will bankrupt sooner than later and independent record labels take over.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom]RIAAsholes crying reminds me of that South Park episode: "They toooook urrr jobsss"They are pathetic, I hope they will bankrupt sooner than later and independent record labels take over.[/citation]

Agreed. The big name music labels are behind 99% of this insanity. The artists, by and large, are like "WTF cares about piracy? It's free advertisement and might get someone to actually BUY our music!"

G

Who cares, it's not like anyone is buying music anyway. Even my mother uses spotify everywhere.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]TheSongRemainsTheSame[/nom]Who cares, it's not like anyone is buying music anyway. Even my mother uses spotify everywhere.[/citation]

well my 73y old father stopped buying cd's after getting acquainted with internet radio :p

danielravennest

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
[citation][nom]xenol[/nom]Ugh, the whole "job" card. If I had a penny every time that was played, I wouldn't need a job for at least two generations.[/citation]

Think of how many jobs pirating has created in the broadband internet and hard drive industries. And for PC games, they may get the game for free, but then have to spend $1000 on a PC capable of playing it.

danielravennest

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
@ The Kurrigan: "Stopping piracy is impossible, they need to give it up. Lets take a look at the time line. 1994: the MP3 format is invented."

That's much too late a starting point. Try my own example in college, in 1979, of making mix tapes on cassette from vinyl records.

spoonless_eddie

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
"This man (Churchill) is gobbling up every country in Europe." ~ A.Hitler. TPB is right. Glazier must be stopped, or in five years you'll have to pay him every time you think of the damned song.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
There will be the day when the powers in charge of the RIAA realize that their business model is simply outdated and no longer enforceable.
You can squeeze only so much juice out of a lemon and this lemon is all but dried up.

It's like middle east dictators. You got away with it for several decades... now it is time to accept change or things will be changed for you.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
"It is motivated by its brazen philosophy of thumbing its nose at the basic rights of America’s creators."

America, the only place in the entirety of the world where content is created.

You know, the whole "we need record companies at least to do a pro mixing of our records" isn't really even true. "Major" record companies with pro facilities don't give chances to small acts until they've milked all they can out of their current acts. They're just as motivated by money and only see selling potential, not talent. You don't need professional recording to make music. Beethoven and Mozart didn't have advanced recording facilities. Plenty of local guys make pretty good music right down the street every night when you know where to go, and they deserve the money a lot more than many of the acts with record deals to. The same can be said for any industry. You don't need a publisher to write a book, film a movie, or make a game, you need a publisher to sell them. The only real need for these industries is to sell a product, because people buy what they're told to. The Internet is a threat to this model, because sampling goods means that people don't need to be told what to buy, they find out themselves. This completely removes the need for an industry. They failed to evolve when they had the chance and now they're a doomed species struggling to survive.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]On one hand, I understand the recording industry's anger. It's like Valve watching a major website copy all of their non-free games and uploading them for free, including L4D2, and not being able to do anything about it.On the other hand, bullying never works, especially when everyone are watching.[/citation]
TPB does nothing that you couldn't do via Google with a set of creative search parameters
If they go after TPB they need to go after Google
Not gonna happen, they need to STFU and leave this stuff to the big boys

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I can see music going on sale directly to the end user from artists via a Facebook style site, artists create their page and have download links to material, including the ability to have a physical copy mailed to you on CD, Vinyl, 8 track etc and any associated artwork, posters, tshirts. Drop sales costs to a fraction of what they are and sales go through the roof.
Here's the rub, charging less should mean less goes to the artist but NO, you are cutting out the whole record label or studio thing, imagine if Sony's entire stable decided to go this route, Sony would go belly up and all the artists would get more money.
Is anyone listening to this? The next Zuckerberg will have this exact idea, hang on, maybe Zuckerberg is the one who will do this, most bands are already on Facebook they just need to have a shopfront on the page, sure some already sell tshirts and hoodies like The Foo Fighters but PUT YOUR MUSIC ON TOO and people WILL BUY IT

spoonless_eddie

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]TPB does nothing that you couldn't do via Google with a set of creative search parameters...If they go after TPB they need to go after Google...Not gonna happen, they need to STFU and leave this stuff to the big boys[/citation]

The danger is that they will succeed at hammering a system into place that will transcend music, movies and games. Textbooks are IP. The food you eat is IP. That's why they need to be stopped now. We will be fine if we never hear Lady Gaga again, but you don't want a world where only the wealthy can read and the only food is reprocessed excrement. We're too close to that already.

danielravennest

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
The problem is their business model is based on scarcity, and music files are just no longer scarce. My entire collection of thousands of tracks fits on about a dollar's worth of hard drive. Seats at a live performance are scarce, there are a limited number of them, they should promote the heck out of them. Set up "minor league" bands like they do with baseball, with the same brand as the major one, and the chance to move up to the top brand, and send the minor league bands around to play smaller concerts. The ticket prices will be lower, but it's still more revenue they are not getting now.

But the idea they can stop people from copying music when you can carry a whole library in a frickin thumb drive is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.