TPB: The Delusional Recording Industry Must Be Stopped

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supere989

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
[citation][nom]supere989[/nom]Im currious about these so called jobs that are being lost.The RIAA claimes american jobs are being taken because of online piracy?Show me 1 Job lost because of Piracy, and I"ll buy a 99cent song as a pitty purchase.[/citation]
I meant to say lost not "taken"

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]On one hand, I understand the recording industry's anger. It's like Valve watching a major website copy all of their non-free games and uploading them for free, including L4D2, and not being able to do anything about it.On the other hand, bullying never works, especially when everyone are watching.[/citation]

They can always do something. But they have to abide by the local laws to do so.

And in any event, piracy isn't nessecarily bad. It's only bad if the product is, cause people won't buy something they've already learnt is rubbish.
I mean if I'd pirated duke nukem before buying I wouldn't have wasted money on it in the first place. And on the other hand, if I hadn't pirated borderlands, burnout, civilization 4 and many others at some point, I'd never have bought it em on steam. But I did pirate them, so I knew they were games worth their asking price. Thus I bought em.

That is a case of piracy generating profits rather than making them lose money.

But in any event, you'll have to remember that riaa and similar organisations are ultimately selfish. They're not protecting the developers rights, but merely trying to justify their own existence by inventing problems.

G

YOU:VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! QUOTE [one of the most clear and obvious examples of why meaningful tools are needed to target foreign rogue sites that steal American jobs]
ARE YOU KIDDING MEEEE? OUTSOURCING IS WHAT'S STEALING JOBS FROM INDUSTRIES INCLUDING SOFT DEVELOPERS. TPB BRINGS JUST A LITTLE PIECE OF JUSTICE IN A FORM OF THEFT

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]you can get that game for free[/citation]
No you cannot. 'get' is the wrong word. You can _steal_ the game without paying, and be subject to the legal penalties of caught.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]No you cannot. 'get' is the wrong word. You can _steal_ the game without paying, and be subject to the legal penalties of caught.[/citation]
Also incorrect. You can aquire a COPY of the game and be subject to various legal unpleasantries.

king smp

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
with the internet the whole idea of how music is distributed needs to be changed
Look at Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins)
he has his own recording studio and releases straight to the internet
An artist can release it themselves
charge half of Itunes or CD pricing
and make much more money than if they go through a recording company
right now musicians mainly live off of live performances
really takes about three albums or so before they see any real money from CD sales
due to paying back the studio
why do you think so many bands never seem to get past the third or fourth album
recording companies lose interest since they are not making as much money off of them

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]There hasn't been any music or movies worth pirating in the past 10 some odd years.....[/citation]
Well, I certain wouldn't want to pay for the new Duke Nukem... No, I didn't pirate it my friend has it. But yeah, wouldn't pay for that one...

G

What is with the people who accept an argument like "TPB has no connections to the US so why should the US be able to control it?" - the U.S. GOVERNMENT INVENTED the Internet and by all means had every right to control it. They relinquished some rights to the people of the world to try to allow other countries to benefit and grow from it, but are obviously now having some regrets.

It's like if you lent your poor friend a gun to go hunting with so that he could eat, and instead he shot you in the face. Why do we defend these people?

Be grateful you're allowed to use the Internet at all, and stop taking advantage of it. Woo hoo, we all were able to effectively steal without getting caught for a while and now that time is coming to an end... Can't you just be happy to have enjoyed that while it lasted but accept that it was wrong?! Just because you didn't get caught and jailed doesn't mean it wasn't wrong.

I am not affiliated with the government, the RIAA, MPAA, etc., but I am honestly losing faith in this world seeing how many people are arguing in favor of lawlessness, theft, and downright a lack of good morals. It shows that the human race really is just a bunch of dumb animals who if left to their own devices would completely destroy each other.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]bobjob[/nom]What is with the people who accept an argument like "TPB has no connections to the US so why should the US be able to control it?" - the U.S. GOVERNMENT INVENTED the Internet and by all means had every right to control it. They relinquished some rights to the people of the world to try to allow other countries to benefit and grow from it, but are obviously now having some regrets.It's like if you lent your poor friend a gun to go hunting with so that he could eat, and instead he shot you in the face. Why do we defend these people?Be grateful you're allowed to use the Internet at all, and stop taking advantage of it. Woo hoo, we all were able to effectively steal without getting caught for a while and now that time is coming to an end... Can't you just be happy to have enjoyed that while it lasted but accept that it was wrong?! Just because you didn't get caught and jailed doesn't mean it wasn't wrong.I am not affiliated with the government, the RIAA, MPAA, etc., but I am honestly losing faith in this world seeing how many people are arguing in favor of lawlessness, theft, and downright a lack of good morals. It shows that the human race really is just a bunch of dumb animals who if left to their own devices would completely destroy each other.[/citation]
The first automobile was chinese, does this mean that they should be able to control every single car out there?

danielravennest

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
@bobjob - Actually a Brit built the first packet switched network:

"Donald Davies, a British expert on computer security, and Paul Baran, formerly of the RAND Corporation — were widely recognized as packet switching's inventors. In the early 1960's, Mr. Baran outlined a packet- switched network that would make communications less vulnerable to attack or disruption. Dr. Davies, who first applied the word "packet" to data communication in the mid-1960's, later built a small packet- switched network."

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/08/technology/08NETT.html

And of course the inventor of the Web, Tim Berners-Lee, is also a Brit. That does not downplay the significance of the ARPAnet, which was the first large network to use the IP protocol, but it was clearly an international R&D effort all along. Knowledge knows no national boundaries, and neither does the Internet.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]The first automobile was chinese, does this mean that they should be able to control every single car out there?[/citation]

Chinese ???

What car was that please ? :)

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I'm not worried. The hactivists groups like Anonymous are already working hard to kill the music industry as it is so the individual artist can make money again. I like sites like cdbaby.com or such as they allow anyone to post their music on the site and set their price per song and the album. No music label needed ;) To get your name out there, just put some songs onto you tube and gets some hits then link the address where you can buy the songs and walla. I am a big fan of those artists that don't have a labels or have their own as they can make the music the way they want. Music labels usually get their fingers into the lyrics or music styles that the artist can sing and that just ruins the individuality of the songs. Lets just put our money toward the indie and underground music and let those music labels go away.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]chicofehr[/nom]I'm not worried. The hactivists groups like Anonymous are already working hard to kill the music industry as it is[/citation]
They might be, but those ignorant kids are killing everything that doesn't scream anarchy, so I'm not sure you should leave it in their hands to secure our freedom.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]TheKurrgan[/nom]Hah! Typical RIAA vomit.. Stopping piracy is impossible, they need to give it up. Lets take a look at the time line.1994: the MP3 format is invented.1997: "Broad band" internet is available in major cities throughout US / EU. Suburbs and rural areas mainly dialup.1999 - Napster hits. First major music sharing service. Typical bandwidth limitations still prohibit movies being pirated to the masses at this time. Prior to this, most of it was being done via FTP sites posted in forums, and over IRC, etc. Basically NOT out there and easy to the general public prior to this. 2000: Metallica got a stick up their a**, and proceeded to start this WHOLE thing over music piracy.2001: Napster shut down.Lets summarize the next 9 years:RIAA / MPAA continue to waste time and money stopping the inevitable. Kazaa, limewire, morpheus, and about 200 others that made it very easy to pirate music are all slowly and costly smacked down. So lets take stock: after a decade of trying every possible venue including scare tactics by suing soccer moms and college students for money they probably wont see in the next 30 years of their lives, they are still basically at square one. Enter 2011: The RIAA / MPAA decide that what they are doing simply isnt viable, and must pursue another avenue of attack.. The laws make it possible albeit difficult and expensive to stop various ways of pirating copyrighted material. However, the process is loosing the RIAA / MPAA money. Because the record industry is ran by 55+ deuche bags at the top, they are VERY disinclined to admit that something is simply beyond their control. So they decide to find a way to change the law so it becomes easier and cheaper to do what they want to do, and also protect every other deuche bag at the same time.They buy a senator, and get him to make this dumb bill called SOPA. yada yada yada we all know about that.Forgetting that ACTA was circumvented in about 30 seconds, and that the same can happen to SOPA, TPB demonstrated yet again, that no matter what they do, they CANNOT STOP IT. Enter 2012: tpb.se is registered. Oops, guess the RIAA /MPAA is boned. Again! Heres to a NEW DECADE OF HUNTING THE WHITE WHALE!That said, the record companies are past the point of full of sh*t. Music today is fairly easy to record and deal with. With modern recording equipment one can produce reasonable sounding music.And contrary to popular believe, sound studios are NOT that expensive--Any more that is--It USED to be, it was expensive to build.it USED to take a lot to master and mix the music.It USED to take a lot to distribute the music.However, TODAY, all of that is nullified.Beyond the fact they want to continue screwing every one over who BUYS music by charing non stop anal rape for a new release CD, they also screw over equally if not more so the artist themselves!Heres how I see it, in the year 2012 and beyond:Fact: Music started being a cash cow around 1952.In 2012, music simply isnt worth much any more. Between the manufacturing of sub standard artists BY the record companies, the ability to get it so easily with OUT being anally raped, and everything else that factors in to this, any kid out of economics 101 can see that the industry is dying; pure and simple. they had no back up plan, and they are suffering for it now.A word on the MPAA: STOP CHARGING SO DAMN MUCH FOR TICKETS TO IN-THEATER MOVIES AND MAYBE YOU'D NOT HAVE SUCH A BIG PROBLEM MORONS!Who the HELL wants to pay 24 bucks to see a movie (assuming 2 people, and the latest "3D" movies)Of course it doesnt stop there, the 24 is just the tickets, and because the theaters are of course wanting to turn a profit, the concession is inflated as it always has been. So by the time you and your sweet heart sit down for that new dolphin tale movie, you are out close to 40 bucks.OR, you can pay 6 dollars for a six pack of cokes, pop corn, 2 kit-kat bars and a condom; Download the movie off the net, play it on your 42 inch television and 5.1 surround sound, and still have a 32 bucks left for some flowers, gas, RENT, what not.So the MPAA is simply its own worst enemy. Charing to much fellas.. Quit bleeding people dry..That said, I obviously think those two are full of it. However, TPB is not innocent here.Lets not quibble or mince words: TPB exists for one purpose: The pirating of stuff. Pure and simple. And since they make stuff available for free that is otherwise supposed to be paid for, its wrong. Pure and simple. They are standing up and slaping the face of the "establishment". Another analogy could be pissing on a bee hive. At some point, some ones getting stung. Whether its the RIAA/MPAA, TPB or the public masses, some ones going to eat shit over this whole thing at some point. Any guesses who it will be?[/citation]

a recording studio. as in a pro setup, that is a sound proof room, you play music its recorded, costs a crap ton to make
it can cost up to 3000$+ to rent an hour... (lowest is 40$ average is around 200$) and for someone who doesnt make a ton of money, 1 hour in a recording studio can cost more than 1 weeks pay

yea, digital recording, even at home, is good enough for most instruments, but realize that you are looking at spending upwords 500-1000$ on equipment to record in quality, and vocals still need a sound room, drums can either be done in quiet area, or done digitally with a roland e drum kit, but those are expensive.

distribution doesn't cost allot anymore, but lets be honest here, distribution doesn't mean dick if people don't know you.

look at most bands today... WHY DO PEOPLE KNOW THEM... i mean they arent really that good, its because record companies know how to promote their people.[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]"It is motivated by its brazen philosophy of thumbing its nose at the basic rights of America’s creators."America, the only place in the entirety of the world where content is created.You know, the whole "we need record companies at least to do a pro mixing of our records" isn't really even true. "Major" record companies with pro facilities don't give chances to small acts until they've milked all they can out of their current acts. They're just as motivated by money and only see selling potential, not talent. You don't need professional recording to make music. Beethoven and Mozart didn't have advanced recording facilities. Plenty of local guys make pretty good music right down the street every night when you know where to go, and they deserve the money a lot more than many of the acts with record deals to. The same can be said for any industry. You don't need a publisher to write a book, film a movie, or make a game, you need a publisher to sell them. The only real need for these industries is to sell a product, because people buy what they're told to. The Internet is a threat to this model, because sampling goods means that people don't need to be told what to buy, they find out themselves. This completely removes the need for an industry. They failed to evolve when they had the chance and now they're a doomed species struggling to survive.[/citation]

two people who wrote symphonies, who had the best people playing live, an equivalent would be a band you like and going to their concert.

you dont need them for a book,
you dont need them for a movie,
you dont need them for music,
you dont need them to make a game...

but they pay money while you are doing it if they know you can make something great, how many independent movies do you even know about, and how many indi bands have you ever heard of that were great... same for the indi game (steam changed that a bit though)

these people know how to market you... if you could sell 1000 books on your own, they will sell 10000.

you want to be known, they are the only way to go, and are a nessassary evil till something comes along and changes that.

danielravennest

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
$3000 an hour to rent a studio is a ripoff. You can build your own for less than that. Check out the prices for a starter kit:

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/soft-sound-pyramid-studio-foam-kits.html

You might be able find one to use free or cheap at a local school (band or orchestra practice room), or a local radio station, or get a group of local musicians together to split the cost of building a studio and getting the recording equipment. Absurd studio rates are one of the ways the music industry rips off the artists - the cost of producing an album comes out of the album sales. A record label only *loans* the band the money, but they do it with bogus accounting.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I know plenty of small label or independant bands. Not personally, but I hear their music. However, if they're unable to sell their stuff on mp3panda, or like nin offer it as a free download, I'm unable to aquire it

GozerHozer

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Why has the Technical community not brought up the fact that an average MP3 is not the same quality as a CD or old analog Tech.
MP3 is 1/11 the sound data and quality.
An MP3 should cost in a DDL 0.15 cents for its quality.
FLC is better, but still not the same.
I guess on an Ipod a person does not care, but there is a huge difference in sound, beat, every part of Audio quality.

In Canada they Tax blank CDs, SD memory, Hard drives, USB memory and give the money to music and movie artiest.
I have been a network admin since the mid 90s and feel very bad for software and Game coders, not music and movie artists.
Most musician can even write music or play an instrument.
But a software or game coder.. now that talent and brain power..Games are also creative talent.

shrapnel_indie

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
"Immediately RIAA senior executive vice president Mitch Glazier retaliated to the move, calling the site 'the worst of the worst' and 'one of the most clear and obvious examples of why meaningful tools are needed to target foreign rogue sites that steal American jobs.' "

"The letter points out that there's no such thing as 'copyright theft.' To steal means the first party no longer has the copyright and the 'thief' now does. Even more, copyright isn't physical. However, the loss of human jobs due to piracy is real, yet no one is bashing robots for doing the same thing. "

While we can argue semantics and translation/definitions all day...

The way the RIAA states its claim about piracy costing jobs, can easily be misinterpreted by the public. It may cost jobs in the entertainment industry, true. BUT MOST of the job loss in the USA is Corporations moving jobs out of the country in the name of larger and immediate profits. (The "It costs too much to be made in the USA" spiel)

While piracy is wrong, it doesn't justify nickle-and-dimming artists out of what was promised as big pay via fees and other costs, and small royalties to artists while these big-wig execs sit pretty in their offices reaping in a huge amount of profit, pay, and bonuses deciding that we, the public, need 20 more of the latest popular big-name they got signed (are taking advantage of) even if we are getting SICK of that artist.

shrapnel_indie

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom]RIAAsholes crying reminds me of that South Park episode: "They toooook urrr jobsss"They are pathetic, I hope they will bankrupt sooner than later and independent record labels take over.[/citation]

Unfortunately, they'll try to buy those up and bring them down with them, or will infect them with the same garbage by getting jobs inside of the indie labels.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]GozerHozer[/nom]Why has the Technical community not brought up the fact that an average MP3 is not the same quality as a CD or old analog Tech.MP3 is 1/11 the sound data and quality . . . . every part of Audio quality.In Canada they Tax blank CDs, SD memory, Hard drives, USB memory and give the money to music and movie artiest.
.[/citation]

The same was/is done with blank audio tape. The price included a fee that was passed along to the artists in some form or another.

As for MP3... that's the greatest rip off in 'art' there has ever been. People are so trainded to listen to them, they don't even know anymore what a 'good' recording sounds like.

Remember the uproar when CDs began to replace Analog recordings (i.e. 45s or 78s).
All the audiophiles bitched about the crappy 'digital' sound of the new CD medium. Now, instead of upgrading to high res audio as they use in the studio we get downgraded to MP3; and nobody seems to complain.

Give us an album on a DVD. Include separate tracks for Audio and the main instruments so you can for instance remix a tune or remove the voice ( for the karaoke fans) or listen to a particular instrument (for music students for example).
Naturally the files will get much larger but who cares with gobs of memory even in the cheapest phone.

Basically, innovate... give the customer MORE instead of less and they will be more likely to do business with you. And best of all, it would not cost the studio a dime to do. Blank CDs or DVDs ... same cost and the recordings are of course available in 16+ track format.

Status
Not open for further replies.