Tracking Stolen MacBook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbed

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Hello,
Just for the fun of it, I thought I would see if anyone knows of a way to track a stolen MacBook Pro..I have the serial # but not much else to go on...

Solution
Unless you had something like lojack installed on it, it's impossible from a technological point of view. However, if you have the serial, it would be a good idea to give it to the police to see if shows up somewhere like a pawn shop.
Unless you had something like lojack installed on it, it's impossible from a technological point of view. However, if you have the serial, it would be a good idea to give it to the police to see if shows up somewhere like a pawn shop.

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut

+1 to buwish. Some systems have a lojack lime capability. If yours doesn't, you are pretty much out of luck. Report the theft and provide the info. You never know, it might actually turn up as previously suggested.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I can see how this potentially would work, but only if configured in advance. I don't see how you could track down afterwards otherwise. Regardless, creative way to get the bad guys.

Agreed. Besides the police, give Apple a call to report it stolen so they can keep an eye out for it just in case the thief is stupid enough to have it serviced (usually they are stupid enough) by Apple.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
And here Im thinking if I relieved someone of their Mac, I would write to this forum and ask you all how could I track my *stolen* laptop and use those ideas to make sure I covered all of my bases.

Just a thought....

COLGeek

Cybernaut

True and I actually thought of that before I first responded. However, if someone is smart enough to come to Tom's for help, then they are likely smart enough to not get caught. Still, worth thinking about. I like the way you think.....

robbed

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Thank you for all the suggestions..we have reported the serial number to the police and they forward to the pawn shops (we also personally went to the pawn shops and gave them the info)...was just hoping that someone might have some ideas that we haven't thought of..appreciate the feedback..missing my Mac..

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I truly hope you find it. BTW, on some insurance policies (homeowners, renters, and auto), theft is covered with the filing of a report and proof of ownership. Worth checking out. My daughter's stuff is covered by my policy while she is away at university.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.