Solved! Transfer OS from HDD to SSD

luke22

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
My Dell Latitude E5450 has a 500GB hard drive (no optical drive), running Windows 10. I want to replace it with a 1TB SSD. It has slot for only one HD. How do I transfer the OS to the SSD?

Solution
Buy a good brand of SSD and it will likely come with software to take care of this transfer. You will also need an external adapter to connect the SSD to a USB port to do the transfter (which will take several hours). However, this is also a good opportunity to do a clean Windows reinstall (which is what I do in this case). You will need an adapter to interface your old HDD to a USB. First make sure you have the means to reinstall all your old software. Second, run BelArc Advisor to print out a list of most of your installed programs and install keys, if needed. This is not always a complete list but will be helpful.
Third, Create an install USB. Do this by following the steps at...
Buy a good brand of SSD and it will likely come with software to take care of this transfer. You will also need an external adapter to connect the SSD to a USB port to do the transfter (which will take several hours). However, this is also a good opportunity to do a clean Windows reinstall (which is what I do in this case). You will need an adapter to interface your old HDD to a USB. First make sure you have the means to reinstall all your old software. Second, run BelArc Advisor to print out a list of most of your installed programs and install keys, if needed. This is not always a complete list but will be helpful.
Third, Create an install USB. Do this by following the steps at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10). Select the option to make media for another computer.
OR---https://www.howtogeek.com/714130/how-to-install-windows-10-from-a-usb-drive/ if you want more details. Chose the option to completely wipe your hard drive.
Fourth install the new SSD and run the above install.
Fifth go to Dell and get any drivers they suggest or Dell software you want.
Sixth copy over the data from your old HDD.

This is a good bit of work but your reward is a machine that will run much faster than before,

Reactions: mrmike16
Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious
My Dell Latitude E5450 has a 500GB hard drive (no optical drive), running Windows 10. I want to replace it with a 1TB SSD. It has slot for only one HD. How do I transfer the OS to the SSD?
Yes, a migration can be done, probably.

How much space is consumed on your C drive?
Do you have an external drive with sufficient free space to hold the contents of your current C drive?