Transformer Prime vs. iPad2

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
I recently bought an Asus Transformer Prime based on its specs and good reviews. A very svelte and powerful slate indeed. It immediately updated to ICS 4.0.3 (though I personally didn't see the big benefit over the Honeycomb that was on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 I auditioned). I, of course, had used iPad(2)s in the past. The thing I immediately appreciated was the TP's higher screen resolution and widgets. Good stuff indeed.

In the span of several weeks I went through 4 different Transformer Primes in an attempt to get one that didn't have a screen defect...dead or stuck pixels. If one of the units didn't have such a defect out of the box it developed the defect soon thereafter. Having had several iPad(2)s I came to expect screens with no such defects. ...but alas I decided to just live with 1 such defect. ...not really understanding why Apple could sell a screen without defects but Asus couldn't :(

Okay, I admit it... I've become a Mac user after many years of enjoying the challenges, freedom, flexibility, and downright problems that Wintel PCs offer. I just expected that synching my music and data from my Mac to the Transformer Prime would work well. I mean it is 2012. Well, I could not have been more mistaken. I realize that Apple has no motivation to make synching non-iPad slates easy. ...but you'd think Asus would right? Nope. Not from OS X or Windows. Occasionally, Double Twist would work but it usually doesn't and messes up my plethora of playlists. Very frustrating after using iPad(2)s where this worked extremely flawlessly...kinda like breathing. I guess my crime here was using iTunes to start with...but heck, it's been over 10 years and iTunes had always served me well from both PCs and Macs. I'm a playlist kinda guy so synching is a must.

Yesterday my 5th Transformer Prime in as many weeks developed a 2nd dead pixel. @$#%!

I had to stop and ask myself why I was putting myself through this. Why? So I could have 4 cores? So I wouldn't be using yet another Apple device? So I'd have a higher resolution screen? ...because Gorilla Glass is cool?

I took my last Transformer Prime back to Best Buy and now have a more expensive lower-resolution screened iPad 2. ...and guess what? IT JUST WORKS. No dead pixels and it synchs just as easily as I've come to expect in 2012. My iPad 2 is worth every penny to me because of the bad experiences I've had with non-Apple tablets. I hope things change one day. ...oh, and yes, I'll be getting an iPad 3...especially if it has a high-resolution screen. I can live with the widget/customization concessions I have to make to have a good product that's easy to use, high-quality, and works as expected.

I hope all the Apple haters read this as well as the folks at Asus (well, one can wish eh?)

Solution
Just wait for windows 8 :) things will change around.
I'm in the same situation as you.I have an iPad(1) 64GB but I'm willing to get another tablet(because I'm sick of a icon-based OS),tried few android tablets and didn't like it.
On the other hand,I sold my iPhone 4 and got Titan(WP 7.5) and I'm overly impressed with Windows Phone.And after seeing Win8 (beta) in action,I have to say it's got a huge potential to be successful
Sorry to hear about your experience with the Prime.It's a decent tablet but I agree,with all the customization of Android,iOS still has better efficiency/more apps.(The only OS that may be able to change this would be windows 8 which is looking quite promising)
Anyway,if you're going to get the iPad 3,then consider selling your iPad 2 now(and yes iPad 3 will have 2048x1536 resolution)

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Well, I thought about that. Fortunately, being a Best Buy Silver Reward Zone member I get to keep this iPad 2 for 45 days before I have to live with it (gotta love Best Buy for that, eh?). So, I'll enjoy this 2 for a while and decide whether to keep it or upgrade it to a 3. If I keep it then I'll pass it on to my wife and 2-year-old son (who has already decided its his anyways...I brought it in the house, took it out, and he's like, "Mine. Mine! ...he had a fit that I had to set it up before he could get his grubby little snatchers on it).

It's just nice to have a device that works well and seems not to have build-quality flaws. What a relief.

obsama1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Sorry to hear about that, but it happens. Like with the Palm Pre and OG Transformer. I had the OG and never ran into issues. No dead pixels or anything. But tabs are are a fad. People will discover that they're only good for going on FB and playing Angry Birds. Android still rules, and Win8 will rule when it come out, IMHO.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Well, it would be very very telling if Apple/Foxconn are able to produce the new iPad with a unprecedented 2048x1536 screen resolution with the same quality/defect ratio that they've done with their previous 2 models...which is to say that it'd be just about flawless (at least in my experience).

I don't want to sound like an Apple fanboy (because I'm not) but I recognize that Apple does generally produce a high quality product. I just can't understand why Asus would not make quality more of their priority as well in their premier tablet. I think I may have to get a new iPad (once I see it, that is). ...and the whole synching issue I saw with the Transformer Prime...well, now that I think about it, it really is unforgivable. It really is.

If Apple decided to allow some more customization and widgets to the iPad then Android would be in even more trouble than it is with the masses. I think its only the die-hard Apple haters that shun the iPad in favor of Android tablets (or those that just wanted to try something different...like me).

I want to see someone...Asus, Google, Motorola, Samsung...whoever, beat Apple at their own game and make a higher quality product that works better and is easier to use than the iPad.

After auditioning a Motorola Xyboard 10.1 for a week, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.1 for a week, and the aforementioned Transformer Primes (5 weeks) I think I can speak with authority when I say the competition doesn't really seem to be there yet...and I want it to be...really I do.

Tell me why this so hard?

Just wait for windows 8 :) things will change around.
I'm in the same situation as you.I have an iPad(1) 64GB but I'm willing to get another tablet(because I'm sick of a icon-based OS),tried few android tablets and didn't like it.
On the other hand,I sold my iPhone 4 and got Titan(WP 7.5) and I'm overly impressed with Windows Phone.And after seeing Win8 (beta) in action,I have to say it's got a huge potential to be successful

Solution

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004

I'm using Windows 8 too and agree it could be quite successful to get all of the Wintel apps and content onto a tablet. You know, I think you hit it right on the head with what is played-out on the iPad...the strictly icon-based OS...I'm tired of that myself. It works but its tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.