Tried to put hard drive off one laptop to another. But once powered up would not recognize my password. Any suggestions on how

truearies2005

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
Laptop went black.so decided to transfer hard drive to an old laptop of the same. I see my start up pic but won't let me sign on

Unless the two laptops are the same model, moving drives won't work most of the time. What exactly happens when you try to enter the password? Does it actually say wrong password? If that's the case, I have yet to find a wrong password error that was due to anything other than a wrong password. With one exception that does not apply to computers, it was on a Blackberry.

truearies2005

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
They are both Compaq Presario laptop. And yes it would say wrong password. Even used the password from the other laptop and still get wrong password.and cant reset it i don't have disc or usb to do this. I've tried several times.
Thxs for your help and response.

You can't use the password from the old laptop, does the account work fine on the system when the drive is in the original computer?

truearies2005

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016

Absolutely yes. But as i said when I did the switch it showed my log on pic but wont accept my password. If i decide to go with an usb caddy will i encounter this problem as well. Just want to get all the data off the hard drive before i dispose it.

truearies2005

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
The data from the hard drive that went black. Looking to invest in i believe it's called a usb caddy. Wondering will i have log on problems if i go this route. Thxs for ur help and response.