Trouble booting up Aspire 7750G

Servin79

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Hello all. A friend of mine recently asked me to fix a broken laptop screen on his Acer Aspire 7750G. Upon trying to start it up, the power button would turn on and the fan would spin. The screen never powers up and there is a click of the harddrive trying to spin up, but ultimately the power light turns off and and goes through the cycle again. I've tried replacing the CMOS battery, removing hard drive and DVD drive, removing RAM and nothing has worked. My fear is there is an issue with the motherboard. Is there any other things I should try first before making the determination that the motherboard is the problem? A book fell on the laptop which broke the screen. Could a short in the LCD wire possibly cause an issue like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Servin79

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
I've attempted to do as you said and still no life in the laptop. When connected to AC adapter, the battery does seem to charge. I'm running out of ideas as to what could be wrong with it besides something going bad on the motherboard. Any other suggestions?

Servin79

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
I certainly appreciate the help. Thank you.

As for the laptop, none of the caps seem to have burst on the motherboard. Visually inspecting it, I cannot see anything that signifies anything is wrong with it. Are you thinking it's something physically on the board that is at fault? Or something that's plugged into the board?

Just in case, I've been scouring the web for decent prices on a replacement board should he decide to go that route. I've found decent prices, shipping from China of course. Still hopeful a replacement won't be necessary though.