Troubleshooting an AMD mobile graphics card

Mecharon1

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014
I have a Samsung Ativ Book 8, and I have for a year now. Among other things, it has an AMD Radeon HD 8700M graphics card, which I regularly use to play video games. Recently, I was in the device manager of Windows 8.1, and I checked for an update for the device's drivers. I was expecting an option to update or not, in which case I would say no because I was out of town and didn't want to do something like that when I didn't have time to wait it to complete. Unfortunately, it began updating without my consent (well, I did initiate it, but whatever). I left my computer for a few minutes to let it do its thing, and when I came back, I found it with a completely black screen. Whenever I moved my mouse, the cursor would show up, but nothing else would respond. After half an hour of no progress, I gave up trying to be patient and force restarted my computer. I have been gaming on the pathetic Intel HD Graphics 4000 since. I have tried just about everything I can think of except updating the drivers from the device manager again.

Warukyure

Estimable
Try doing this.

Install and run this program to wipe away any and all AMD drivers installed on your computer atm.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Now instead of relying on AMD's official drivers and/or Windows Update to check for drivers for your AMD graphics, go directly to Samsung's Support page, look up your model and install the specific drivers from Samsung for your laptops graphics.

Or just go Charms > Settings > Change PC settings > Update and Recovery > Reset your computer (I think thats the one) and just start from scratch. (Obviously this is not really the best option as it wipes everything and resets your computer back to factory conditions, but if you're bored or like to reformat, go for it i guess)

Mecharon1

Estimable
Dec 5, 2014
Alright, thanks for the reply. I didn't have access to my computer today (which is why I got around to writing this post), but I should be able to reset the drivers this weekend. I'm not going to reset my computer unless it gets way worse. I'll also look up my model number on Samsung Support, because again, I didn't have access to my computer today.