Troubleshooting ASUS laptop that doesn't respond

Status
Not open for further replies.

23mike

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I think my daughter fried her laptop by allowing it to overheat using it on a soft surface. It's an X202E, i3 CPU, 500 GB HDD, very compact, very portable unit. Really a great little laptop when it worked. It does generate a lot of heat and I should have made sure she was using it on a solid surface.

It has zero response when the power supply is plugged in--no LED's or anything. I've tested the PS with a multi-meter and voltage appears good. I pulled the back off the unit and found voltage to be good all the way to the battery connection. From googleing, I was concerned that the plug inside the unit had failed, but since I'm seeing voltage at the battery terminals with the battery disconnected, I now assume the plug it good. Next, I thought the battery had died, but I assume I'd get some response from the system with the battery disconnected and power plugged in. Nothing at all.

Pulled the hard drive to back it up--it's working fine.

I can't see anything like a blown cap that jumps out as the failed element.

Is there any other testing I can do to possibly find the fault on this unit?

As mentioned, I'm getting no response at all from the system when I connect power which surprised me. I expected that the power connected LED would at least light up.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.