Solved! TV Setup (not getting HD)

badgermaniac

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I have an system with a bunch of components, all of which work fine. However, I am not receiving a HD picture (480 rather than 1020) and I am 99% sure it is because my system is not set up optimally. I am assuming the picture path is going through some older components/cables, which is preventing me from viewing in full HD mode. For instance, I have an HDMI cable going from the satellite receiver to the TV, but component cables in other places.

Anyway, I would like to start from scratch, re-set up everything, and if needed, upgrade cables where there need to be upgraded. I would rather not pay $100 in a service call, so hoping that I can find someone to walk me through what gets hooked up where and with what type of cable. I am guessing my setup is really easy for someone that knows what they are doing.

My components are:
  • Television
  • Game system (Wii)
  • Blu-Ray player
  • Satellite receiver (DirecTv)
  • DVD/VCR recorder
Anyone know where I can find someone willing to take a few minutes and walk me through it?

If this does not work, is it possible that the satellite receiver is faulty in some way?

Solution
The Wii and DVD/VCR are not capable of HD no matter how you connect them. Component video is the best you can do for DVDs and can support HD but is limited to output only 480p.Video tapes can only be played back via composite video (single yellow RCA cable) and will look the worst.
If the Wii has HDMI use that anyway since it will look better than analog video but won't be HD.
The BD player and DTV receiver have to be connected to the TV with HDMI. Both will have video set up menus so you can check what resolution they are set to output to the TV.
HD is 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. Depending on the age of the TV it may not do 1080p. 720p is better for motion and 1080i is better for stationary images.
The Wii and DVD/VCR are not capable of HD no matter how you connect them. Component video is the best you can do for DVDs and can support HD but is limited to output only 480p.Video tapes can only be played back via composite video (single yellow RCA cable) and will look the worst.
If the Wii has HDMI use that anyway since it will look better than analog video but won't be HD.
The BD player and DTV receiver have to be connected to the TV with HDMI. Both will have video set up menus so you can check what resolution they are set to output to the TV.
HD is 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. Depending on the age of the TV it may not do 1080p. 720p is better for motion and 1080i is better for stationary images.

Solution

badgermaniac

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I disconnected everything and then went piece by piece....nothing. I called DTV (again) and they had me reset the receiver to factory settings (as opposed to standard reset). Voila...problem solved. Would have been nice if they would have suggested that before I spent so long checking everything. At the very least, got to clean up my cables, get everything dusted, etc.