TV to Home Theater connection problems

Mar 1, 2018
I use a Samsung TV. The model is UA40M5000. I recently got a Samsung Home Theater. The model is HT-J5150K. I can play music by inserting a Drive in the USB port of my home theater or connecting my home theater with my laptop using a Jack to Phono cable but I'm unable to direct the sound of my TV through my home theater. When I connect the Home Theater to the TV using an HDMI cable or a three coloured jack cables, the sound doesn't pass through my home theater even if I change the sound settings on the TV to external

Solution
TV should have a 3.5mm mini jack for analog audio output.
HTS has an aux analog input. Connect them.
Check the TV manual to see if the audio output has to be turned on in the TV menu.
Select a surround sound mode on the HTS for a stereo input.
If you have any sources with digital audio out use that connection too since it will sound better. An HDMI input selector with audio extraction might be useful.

robert600

Distinguished
"When I connect the Home Theater to the TV using an HDMI cable or a three coloured jack cables, the sound doesn't pass through my home theater even if I change the sound settings on the TV to external"

I think those jacks on your tv are inputs only. The connector your tv activates when you change the sound to external is the 'optical" ... use that cable to connect to your home theater ...does that make sense?

robert600

Distinguished
"When I connect the Home Theater to the TV using an HDMI cable or a three coloured jack cables, the sound doesn't pass through my home theater even if I change the sound settings on the TV to external"

I think those jacks on your tv are inputs only. The connector your tv activates when you change the sound to external is the 'optical" ... use that cable to connect to your home theater ...does that make sense?

TV should have a 3.5mm mini jack for analog audio output.
HTS has an aux analog input. Connect them.
Check the TV manual to see if the audio output has to be turned on in the TV menu.
Select a surround sound mode on the HTS for a stereo input.
If you have any sources with digital audio out use that connection too since it will sound better. An HDMI input selector with audio extraction might be useful.

Solution