TV with no audio out port, how can I improve sound

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

littlelamb

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Hello, I have a samsung LN46E550F6F hdtv. It doesn't have an audio out port or a digital optical port. It has 2 hdmi in ports without ARC. No headphone jack, only component/av in ports. After contacting samsung and asking if I can connect anything to this tv to enhance its poor sound level I was told that it wasn't possible. For the moment I have my tivo box, which I get my cable service through, connected to one hdmi port. The other port I connect my laptop. I was able to figure out that I can connect my tivo box to my sony stereo system using a rca y audio cable. That's fine for when I'm watching cable tv but when I want to watch a movie by connecting my laptop to my tv there's no possible connection for my tv to my stereo's audio in. I have a dvd player and WII that I also connect the audio to my stereo system. But I have to constantly be plugging and unplugging. I would love suggestions as to what I can do to enhance my tv's sound. I was told I can't connect a sound bar so what are my options. Is a home theater possible. If so, how would I connect this to my tv. I've seen home theaters needing a digital optical port or an hdmi ARC port. I would appreciate detailed suggestions, thanks.

Solution
I have a brand new Samsung 55" with ZERO audio out ports. I solved it with an 4 x 1 HDMI switcher box that has a SEPARATE audio out feature (either digital coax/digital optical/or red/white analog outputs).

So I have three HDMI inputs (1) cable box (2) DVD (3) "smart TV" Sony box. And there is still an extra HDMI input on the front panel for my son's XBox. I use the HDMI output to got to my TV. I use a digital coax to go to my Bose sound system. The switcher box in a Monoprice 5557. Here is a link if you want to see it. It works great!

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557

needinfo79

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
My TV has one USB input, one HDMI input and one a/v component input. But zero audio output. My intention of buying this TV was to plug in USB stick or external HDD to watch movies but unfortunately the audio is not good to watch movies. My TV model is UA32EH4003.

gregates

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
needinfo99

This is ONLY my take on your situation, so feel free to ask the community if they have a differ opinion.

Your TV is most likely not going to play movies using just simply the TV’s USB port and a thumb-drive (without another component doing the playing/inputting the signal). Most use a laptop or a PC. But even then, you can use an HDMI cable to provide the signal to the TV (not using USB input).

TV manufacturers add video playback to the USB on their TVs is to provide compatibility with their own brand of phones, camcorders and cameras. But think of that as use of an additional component.

Manufacturer’s also add a USB slot to enable the owner to upgrade their TV with the “latest” firmware that is published for your particular brand/model of your TV. It is like downloading updates to your PC, laptop or phone. This is pretty cool as the manufacturer “fixes” problems and glitches that infect your particular model. Anyone reading this….THIS IS WORTH DOING (if your TV supports it). Read your manual to see if your model is firmware update capable.

What this all means is, 99% of the video files you ever come across (on the internet) are not going to play back directly on the TV (simply just through your USB input slot using a USB “thumb drive” storage device), unless you re-encode the particular file you want to watch, into a format of the supported video formats your TV manufacturer supports. Why bother, just watch the original input to your TV via another external component.

I would ignore the USB input port and consider using your one HDMI input for all your external components. And doing that, you can use an HDMI splitter, like I have mentioned above, to add multiple HDMI enabled components, as well as splitting off the audio signals via either HDMI or “digital” cables to a separate audio system to enhance your audio enjoyment.

Good luck! Let me know if another member has a better answer so I can learn as well.

Greg
From beautiful Oregon

pelorick

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

Hi there,

I am wondering if this switcher will work in order to just get the audio from my 55" Samsung that also doesn't have any audio out ports. Everything else is connected to the receiver, so all other sources go through AVR. This TV is mainly for movies, so we no longer have a cable box hooked up to run through the AVR. I am planning on getting an HD antenna, just to get some over the air HD channels for occasional viewing. Problem is that I have no way to get the TV audio to the AVR.

Thank you for your help.

Rick

gregates

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Hi there,

I am wondering if this switcher will work in order to just get the audio from my 55" Samsung that also doesn't have any audio out ports. Everything else is connected to the receiver, so all other sources go through AVR. This TV is mainly for movies, so we no longer have a cable box hooked up to run through the AVR. I am planning on getting an HD antenna, just to get some over the air HD channels for occasional viewing. Problem is that I have no way to get the TV audio to the AVR.

Thank you for your help.

Rick
Rick

I wouldn’t configure your HDTV over the “air” signal that way (using the HDMI splitter I mentioned).

I would use an external HDTV “tuner” (a Digital Terrestrial Receiver)¬¬ to convert the incoming RF HDTV antenna signal to an HDMI outgoing signal. Then you just plug the external HDTV tuner into your Audio Receiver using an HDMI cable (no different than you are doing now with your other external components).

[1] So you would purchase an HDTV (either indoor or outdoor) antenna (your choice)
[2] Next you would purchase an external HDTV tuner (a Digital Terrestrial Receiver)¬¬. Using this external HDTV tuner most people in the USA will be able to receive all the major networks like ABC-HD, NBC-HD, CBS-HD, Fox-HD, Ion-HD, The CW-HD and PBS-HD. They are all broadcast over the “air”waves, just like our old TV signals were (but they are kinda like on steroids now with HD/digital qualities). You just wull not get ESPN, CNN, The cooking channel etc etc etc. But for local news with their ties to their parent network, the signals are great. So you can watch all the ABC, CBS and NBC lineup at night.

Here is a link to JUST one example of an external HDTV tuner (Digital Terrestrial Receiver). There are lots of them. This is one I have heard good things about, but there are lots of others for you to choose from. It has an HDMI out function that would connect to your Audio receiver.
http://www.summitsource.com/digiwave-5000hd-digital-terrestrial-receiver-hdmi-cable-included-hdtv-tuner-supports-hdmi-output-atsc-true-signal-quality-ready-high-definition-television-home-antenna-signal-aerial-reception-part-dtv5000hd-p-9672.html

But search around as I found this exact Digital Terrestrial Receiver on different sites at different prices (so you get the best deal)!

So in short, you would “change channels” with this external HDTV tuner (Digital Terrestrial Receiver), the antenna’s signal would go to your Audio receiver and then into the TV the way you have your system configured/connected today (no different). BUT you would not use the internal tuner of your big screen TV to change channels. That would be done using the external HDTV tuner (Digital Terrestrial Receiver),

Think of the external HDTV tuner kind of like your cable box used to function, but picking up channel signals over the terrestrial air, rather than through the cable of your cable company.

Did this help??

Greg
From beautiful Oregon

pelorick

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

Thank you Greg! It sure does help. I didn't realize that I would need the HD antenna AND the Digital Terrestrial Receiver (DTR). I was thinking that the latter would/could do both. Are these DTRs uncommon these days? I am trying to update most of our components/devices to current. I guess I am trying to determine if it makes more sense to return this TV and spend a little more for one with the audio out. The problem is that this TV got really good reviews, was a very good price, and doesn't have the Smart Functions that I would have to pay for, but rarely use. However, I don't like the idea of using the onboard speakers if we do decide to watch OTA programming on that TV. Some of the more expensive models that have the audio out didn't get as good of reviews. Ugh... :)

Thank you again for your help and for any additional info you might provide.

Happy New Year!

gregates

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Thank you Greg! It sure does help. I didn't realize that I would need the HD antenna AND the Digital Terrestrial Receiver (DTR). I was thinking that the latter would/could do both. Are these DTRs uncommon these days? I am trying to update most of our components/devices to current. I guess I am trying to determine if it makes more sense to return this TV and spend a little more for one with the audio out. The problem is that this TV got really good reviews, was a very good price, and doesn't have the Smart Functions that I would have to pay for, but rarely use. However, I don't like the idea of using the onboard speakers if we do decide to watch OTA programming on that TV. Some of the more expensive models that have the audio out didn't get as good of reviews. Ugh... :)

Thank you again for your help and for any additional info you might provide.

Happy New Year!
Rick

You do not actually need 2 (TWO) components to be able to receive terrestrial broadcast signals on your TV.

Simplest set up for the system would be to purchase your HDTV (either indoor or outdoor) antenna. The new antenna would hook directly to the back of your TV using the coax cable RF connection. This would be the “input” spot where you may have attached your cable box at one time. You would then use your TV’s internal tuner to change channels. BUT your audio would come out your TV’s speakers (not your audio amp receiver).

By adding an additional external HDTV “tuner” (a Digital Terrestrial Receiver) into the chain of components, you avail your system, to be able to hook into your external audio amp receiver to process the AUDIO signals, received from your new HDTV antenna. The HDTV “tuner” (a Digital Terrestrial Receiver) would be how you would change channels received by your the HDTV’s antenna (like changing from Big Bang Theory on CBS-HD to PBS-HD to watch Big Bird).

This would occur as the HDTV “tuner” (a Digital Terrestrial Receiver) would have an “output” using an HDMI cable, hooking directly into your external audio amp receiver, before the signal would go to the TV.

Think of the HDTV “tuner” (a Digital Terrestrial Receiver) as REPLACING your cable box. It would hook into your audio amp receiver the same way, but instead of 400 channels, you can receive 20 ish terrestrial broadcast channels. Remember, as long as you don’t want the cooking channel, you can still get ABCHD, CBSHD, NBCHD, FOXHD, PBSHD etc, etc. And for FREE!!!

Bottom-line, you only add the HDTV “tuner” (a Digital Terrestrial Receiver), IF you want the improved the audio sound through your audio amp receiver (instead of your TV’s speakers)

AND............if you can find an HDTV (either indoor or outdoor) antenna, that HAS HDMI cable as an output, to go directly to your audio amp receiver, that would eliminate the “in-between” use of the HDTV “tuner” (a Digital Terrestrial Receiver). A lot of the antennas that convert to an HDMI cable require the use of a PC or laptop involved, so I did not mention those. I am going to ask a couple of the big HDMI suppliers if they have a simple HDMI cable solution for one ot their antennas. Stay tuned and don’t return your TV yet LOL!

Hope this helps,

Greg

pelorick

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

Again, very helpful! I have the antenna hooked up and will wait to see about the DTR options. The antenna I have does not have an HDMI output, unfortunately. I may need to look into that option, even though I still need to upgrade my AVR. My receiver is nice, but it's older, so there is no HDMI. I am planning on upgrading ASAP. It would be nice to be able to output the TV to my AVR, especially since all other sources will go through it.

Thanks

gregates

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Rick

Here is another external HDTV “tuner” OR "Digital Terrestrial Receiver", the type of component you would connect to your HDTV antenna and then route to either your TV or your external audio amp receiver.

Again, think of it as replacing your cable box to be able to process/tune to the terrestrial

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/HD_Antenna_Tuner_CM_7001_p/cm-7001.htm

This one is $139.

Have had a few responses from some big antenna folks regarding HDMI potential with an HDTV antenna. So far, all are saying their antenna's have ONLY the regular coax cable option for hook up (unless you add an ADDITIONAL external HDTV “tuner” OR "Digital Terrestrial Receiver" in-between).

Hope this helps?

Greg

pelorick

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

It really does help - thank you! I also appreciate you sending a link for an optional DTR.

gregates

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
It really does help - thank you! I also appreciate you sending a link for an optional DTR.

Great! That HDTV antenna company seems to have a pretty good reputation for customer service (from my reading). AND they were the first (and only one) to reply to my e-mail answering your and my questions, (I sent the same e-mail to three big companies). That's a good sign. I saved their links for recommendations down the road.

Good luck!

Greg

pelorick

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

I really do appreciate all of your "above and beyond" help!!!

naturalstyles

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
This is not a solution, but instead a request for help. I have the same issue as the first person who made the post. My husband just purchased a Samsung 55" HDTV with a usb input, 2 HDMI and a shared component/composite input. No audio out. We chose the Samsung over a sharp because of the picture quality. The sharp had much more inputs and outputs, with a dvi input as well. The picture quality of the sharp had it's corners grey unless the bright was almost at 100, but still a little grey. Not sure if it was because of store model or what. They were both the same price, but the Samsung was price matched to a local retailer's price. Got a great deal On the Samsung for $499.99 New-not open box. (Regularly priced at $799.99). Model number is UN55FH6003FXZA.

I wonder if the HDMI splitter would work. We have it hooked up to a digital antenna in the attic by coax cable. No cable or satellite service. We have an older Sony Stereo receiver without an HDMI, but works great. Do not want to purchase a new receiver.

Is there any chance that we can get the audio into the receiver for television, movies, and netflx? I have a roku 3, a Toshiba Thrive Tablet, a PSP, a LG Dvd Player (Not BluRay). I watch movies on tv from the roku box, and would love to get to use our current home theatre set up that we have...7 speakers in the livingroom/subwoofer/2 speakers in kitchen.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you so much. I am happy I came across this posting.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Lisa

gregates

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Lisa,

The HDMI spliter I highlighted, would work for the "oku 3, a Toshiba Thrive Tablet, a PSP, a LG Dvd Player (Not BluRay)" IF they have an HDMI output function (a must have).

The HDMI splitter WILL NOT work for the "digital antenna"..

The HDMI splitter has three "audio" output functions (Digital coax, digital optical AND good old analog like you need. BUT you will need a Y analog rca splitter to go from the back of the new HDMI splitter to your audio system (different plug on the back of the HDMI splitter versus your audio device). Easily purchased at any good video/audio dealer.

Good luck!

Greg

cfish

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014
I also have the same television with a similar problem and I'm glad I found this informative thread. My particular soundbar is a Samsung that only has HDMI input or HDMI output connections with no other way to connect (no digital input/output). Would the HDMI switcher mentioned earlier work in my situation? I would have to connect my cable box and possibly dvd player into the HDMI switcher and connect it out to the tv and another HDMI output to my soundbar.

Thanks

gregates

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
cfish

No it will not work that way. Each HDMI "output" port on the switcher is individualized. A push of the button switches between each component to route to the TV..

Let me know the model number of your sound system and I will figure out what you want to do.

sanil472119

Estimable
Apr 6, 2014

I have a tv with no audio out port but i have one usb port and one hdtv port i would like to play movies with my usb plugged in and want a audio out to my external speaker

please suggets any one i dont want to use a laptop or any other external thing i want to play using usb please help will hdmi splitter as sugested by gates will be useful for me also

soupeod

Estimable
Oct 1, 2014

Greg, that is what I needed to know as well, thanks for the link to the digital HD tuner!!

Soup

Status
Not open for further replies.