Tv won't connect to laptop via hdmi

Devon_Todd

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
Sometimes my laptop connects and other times it doesn't. Usually it works when projected but it now isn't? i have checked the graphics card and the resolution. i've tried different cables and none work. I don't understand why it only connects sometimes? and need to know how to fix? please help :(

Solution
Try changing the order you turn things on.
If you already have the laptop booted when you switch to that input try it the other way.
HDMI connected devices "handshake" with each other. They don't look all the time though. My laptop can take as long as 10 seconds to produce a picture on my projector.

HangOn4LifesCrazyRide

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
It sounds like your screen is not changing to accommodate the display. I've had this happen in hotel rooms and other places many times. Here are a couple of fixes that have worked for me in the past:
Don't use a different cord, just reverse the ends, take the end plugged into the laptop and plug it into the tv and vice versa
In Windows Control Panel on the laptop go to Display, and then select "Project to a second screen" and choose the option you want (Windows 8.1)
In Windows Control Panel on the laptop go to Device Manager, find Monitors and delete the tv (if it shows) and also delete the adapters under Display Adapters then reboot and let it find the updated driver

Good luck!

Devon_Todd

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
I have tried both of these and they didn't work. However I noticed my laptop doesn't make a noise when i plug in the hdmi cable (it usually does) but my TV does notice but then after searching comes up with no signal?

HangOn4LifesCrazyRide

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017

A couple other things: check the refresh rate on your laptop, I know if your laptop screen is refreshing constantly, it won't find the connection.

I assume you are plugging directly into your laptop HDMI port and not any type of HDMI splitter/hub on either the tv end or the laptop end?

I also assume you are on the correct channel (usually HDMI with a number 1, 2, 3, or 4 after it) on your television when you try to connect the HDMI cord? Make sure you turn the tv off, plug in the cord, then plug the other end into the laptop. Then turn the tv on, sometimes this fixes it.

Do you have a second HDMI port on your TV you can try? I know we have four ports and one has decided it just doesn't like my laptop so we plug the desktop in there. The port may be in the back not along the side of the tv. If you are only plugging it into the side, try a port in the back, as sometimes the side panels can stop working all together on tv's.

I know some laptops you have to change the laptop resolution to match the TV resolution, meaning if your laptop is running one of the higher ones like 900p or 1080p, and your TV is on the lower end of resolution, you'll have to change the resolution on the laptop to one the TV can accommodate.

When you plug the HDMI cord into the laptop does the laptop screen flash, like go dark and then come back?

What brands of HDMI cables are you using? Are they all the same brand? Our TV is an RCA and it HATES Monoprice cables, it will work with literally any other brand.

If you have more than one HDMI port, but something else is plugged into it, does that device work when you put it in the HDMI port you are trying to use with the laptop?

Other than that, I'm out of ideas what it could be.

Devon_Todd

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017

My HDMI cables definitely work in my TV as they connected both my PS4 and PS3. I'll try change the resolution and see if that works. I've tried different HDMI ports as i also have 4 and have definitely been on the right input. I'll change the resolution lower on my laptop and see if that works. Thank you so much :)

I tried changing the resolution and it didn't work :( thank you so much for all your solutions! :)

Try changing the order you turn things on.
If you already have the laptop booted when you switch to that input try it the other way.
HDMI connected devices "handshake" with each other. They don't look all the time though. My laptop can take as long as 10 seconds to produce a picture on my projector.

Solution

blackflag

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
Same problem with my HP laptop and Sony TV, after hours of reading forum I tried every suggestion, what worked was taking out battery holding power button for 15 sec, turn TV on with hdmi cable in,have laptop on then plug in other end.Presto works great again. Trying different sequence of turning on TV and laptop and plugging in cable definitely works. Good luck