Solved! Two laptops to one monitor, keyboard and mouse?

Apr 8, 2020
Hello, Is there a good way to connect two laptops to one monitor, keyboard and mouse?

I have a docking station, but it only allows for one computer to be connected at a time. Right now I have to keep on disconnecting the usb-c cable. How can I connect both computers and more easily switch back and forth? That would be really helpful.

Both my laptops use usb-c. My work laptop requires usb-c in order to charge, whereas my personal laptop has a separate charger, so doesn't need the usb-c to charge it.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Shirley

Apr 8, 2020
You just need a KVM switch. What are the makes/models of the two laptops? Also, what is your budget?

I am asking for the laptop info to know what ports each has. There are multiple varieties. For example:

https://www.newegg.ca/p/pl?d=kvm+switch&N=100166093&name=KVM Switches

My work laptop is a HP Pro x2 612 G2 and my other laptop is a Dell xps 13 9360. Both use usb-c but the work one needs the usb-c to also charge it. As for budget, no specific budget but looking for good quality for the price. Appreciate any recommendations. Will also look at your link. Thank you

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
Hello, Is there a good way to connect two laptops to one monitor, keyboard and mouse?

Shirley

Keyboard and mouse can be connected with a "virtual" KVM switch such as Mouse without Borders. It allows you to control up to four (I think it's four) systems with one mouse and one keyboard. It will, however, not "connect" a monitor. (For a while a couple of years back, I had two laptops side by side and used it to seamlessly move the mouse pointer and keyboard functionality across the screens between the two).

Reactions: skyone

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
P.S. ColGeek of course answered your question more directly and far better, I just added my response in case you need a stop-gap until you purchase what you need. :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
On closer inspection, the previous item would be a good docking solution, but not a KVM (you would have to switch between laptops one at a time. My apologies for not seeing this sooner.

This KVM would allow both devices to connect to a single mouse, keyboard, and display.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Univ...usb-c+kvm&qid=1586473972&s=electronics&sr=1-5

My actual concern though, is the HP and whether it will successfully drive an external display when connected to a KVM. That I can't guarantee.