Two Technologies to Make the Holodeck Real

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kajohn10

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I can't seem to find the paper atm, but during my VR coursework, we reviewed this technology that basically put someone inside a large sphere (think hampster in a rolling ball), and it sat atop rollers that allowed the person to move, walk forward, in any direction, and on the surface of the sphere would be numerous projectors displaying an image, so you were completely immersed...no need for a VR helmet. It was really cool, the only prob was your feet would always have a slight uphill climb that would push the ball down, i.e. to move you forward.

G

and soon, they'll have to deal with .... holo-sickness
caused by the gap between balance and visual perception...
like seasickness. your eyes tells you're moving but your body feels no movement triggering dizzyness

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Cost and size hold this back. I understand as technology progresses both will be addressed but you're still looking at a massive amount of hardware. Now, a virtual sphere lined with oled technology is something could be cost effective and would fit in the average living room. Of course both of these devices are a less-than elegant design. A direct brain interface is ideal. Technology in this area is quickly maturing and I believe is the real future of virtual reality.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
It cant be direct-to-brain interface. you need actual physical world. Startrek people used this to train and exercise too.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
It is going to be quite a while before the concept is fully developed and refined. I seriously doubt they'll be able to match the fictional holodeck.

Status
Not open for further replies.