Solved! Type of Soundbar with Bad Placement

Jun 14, 2020
Hi!
I have a projector and want to buy a Sounbar. I have some limitations placing it and I'm not sure how sound moves on different Soundbars and the problems I may have.

I have to hang it from the air conditionner (1 meter to the right of a wall, 5 meters to the left of another, and 10 meters behind the couch another.

What Soundbar would be better in this situation?

• few front speakers (ie. 2 channels Denon DHT-S216H)
  • many around speakers (ie 13 channels Harman Kardon Enchant 1300)

Thanks a lot!
Gery

Solution
Since you have to mount the soundbar either below (usually closer to ear level is better) or above and centered on the screen you don't have to many options that affect how close to side and back walls it will go.
If you want a soundbar with the ability to play loud and give you any kind of surround effect you need one with more speakers.
If you want a soundbar with good clarity then a three channel soundbar will do that best.
No soundbar will give you as good an effect as an AVR and speakers. It's usually more tolerant of bad placement since it's more adjustable.
Since you have to mount the soundbar either below (usually closer to ear level is better) or above and centered on the screen you don't have to many options that affect how close to side and back walls it will go.
If you want a soundbar with the ability to play loud and give you any kind of surround effect you need one with more speakers.
If you want a soundbar with good clarity then a three channel soundbar will do that best.
No soundbar will give you as good an effect as an AVR and speakers. It's usually more tolerant of bad placement since it's more adjustable.

Reactions: gerygg
Solution
Jun 14, 2020
I understand what you mean about an AVR, but I don't have the space, the budget and the way to travel with it to my country.

I've read on HK manual that you can callibrate it with your room's size. I was almost conviced to buy that one. You still think a 3 channels one will do a better work?

Thanks

Jun 14, 2020
So, you would choose
Samsung HW-MS650 ZA [$323]
over Harman Kardon Enchant 800 [$250]
or Harman Kardon Enchant 1300 [$391]
having my layout problems?

Whats-App-Image-2020-06-14-at-09-39-39.jpg

Thanks a lot!

I would mount a pair of powered speakers on either side of the screen before hanging a soundbar off the AC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EDVB14/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1 or something similar https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Professional-Reference-Monitors-JBL104/dp/B07ZR2G296/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3BNVRBRXFKTUT&dchild=1&keywords=iloud+micro+monitor+speakers&qid=1592279605&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=iloud,mi,152&sr=1-5&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5RZWC...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

You also should also check how much light bleed you will have to the other side of the screen so as not to annoy neighbors with a large blaze of light from the windows at night.

Jun 14, 2020
Interesting idea hang-the-9, you think those will sound better than a Soundbar?

Behind that window I hav the garage and a wall, so no problem with neighbours.

Two powered speakers might give you a bigger soundstage than a soundbar. Might no play loud enough though.
Problem is that ones like those linked to above are near field monitors. That means they are designed to sound right when they are very close to you (like a desktop). Completely different than mounted on a wall. Also unless the projector has variable audio output you will need the speakers to have a remote volume control too.
The HK soundbars will have digital surround sound which might give you a better effect for movies and perhaps better clarity since they will have a center channel. If you can mount the soundbar below the screen or the speakers lower on both sides of the screen you will get a better result.

Jun 14, 2020
My projector does have a 3.5 jack if needed.

I won't be able to mount the soundbar below, my 1 and 3 year old kids will mess around with it, so i have to hang it from the AC (which is always off) and tilt it so the front speakr facs directly towards the couch.

So, you would prefer Harman Kardon Enchant 1300 [$391] over Samsung HW-MS650 ZA [$323] . The right wall is at 80cm, the side-firing speakers won't have a problem with it?

Thanks!

Link edited. scan your system for malware

Two powered speakers might give you a bigger soundstage than a soundbar. Might no play loud enough though.
Problem is that ones like those linked to above are near field monitors. That means they are designed to sound right when they are very close to you (like a desktop). Completely different than mounted on a wall. Also unless

The only issue is that I don't think there are any powered speakers that are not setup for near listening that are small enough to mount easily on a wall, seems a bit better than hanging a soundbar off the AC though.