U.S. Authors Fussing Over Amazon Ebook Lending

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Niva[/nom]The issue is simple, the publishers refused to participate, yet Amazon went ahead and placed their content there. This has the potential to blow up both ways. The idea of E-lending books is based on the way physical libraries operate, but is not quite the same in the end. Ultimately, if the publishers said "no" their request to stay out of the service should have been honored.[/citation]
Yes the issue IS simple, the publishers are greedy, Amazon is doing what any person can do, they are paying for each copy yet the publishers want more money. Nowhere does it say that Amazon cannot buy each copy individually as needed and lend them out for free, the publishers are just upset that they didn't line up with Amazon when they had a chance and are trying to squeeze Amazon for money they are not entitled too.

G

The only thing that is a mess is The Author's Guild. Luddite approaches generally fail in the long run.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I don't see the problem with being able to "check out" one book per month with my Kindle. I can already check out 100 books, magazines, movies, and/or CDs at a time at my local library; and that includes all of the NYT best sellers and current issues of hundreds of different magazines. Where are the Authors Guild, RIAA, MPAA, etc. complaining about that?

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
They are whining because they are greedy little pieces of ... If they took the route of Baen publishing, with some free books, $15 a month book packages in all available formats with no encryption they might have a surprise in store for them. Namely doubling their or even getting five times their sales. Those that worry about priacy are not worth reading anyways. Word of mouth, lending, libraries are a GOOD authors best friend. Nobdy downloads, borrows or lends a crappy book. I pick up a package from them every now and then if there are at least two books that I think I would like, the sample chapters are fantastic idea also. This can only help sales.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Considering that books are a dying medium, if I was an author I'd be overjoyed that Amazon is handling my book.[/citation]

Print will not go out of fashion, some of us love books and book readers. Nothing like holding a book in your hand or getting your favorite author to sign them.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Naxos[/nom]Have these authors ever been to library? My god what are they thinking at these places loaning books to people without charging them. Maybe Amazon should stop selling these greedy authors titles see how they like that. But that will never happen cause in the end it's all about the $$[/citation]

amazon is big enough that it could easily dump authors that complain and not feel much of anything. it may annoy some people who have kindles but o well.

[citation][nom]tolham[/nom]i don't see why amazon needs to do business with publishers in the first place. if an author types their book on a laptop/computer, they can send a copy to amazon, then amazon can publish it. what's the point of a middle-man?[/citation]

that middle man get a slightly beter going rate than an author alone, and at the same time, they can get advertiseing for the book, cheaper, and with better know how.

the people who dont need a publisher at all for people to know of their books, already sighed major agreements with publishers and cant really leave unless they can deal with the legal troubles that will follow them.

[citation][nom]Niva[/nom]The issue is simple, the publishers refused to participate, yet Amazon went ahead and placed their content there. This has the potential to blow up both ways. The idea of E-lending books is based on the way physical libraries operate, but is not quite the same in the end. Ultimately, if the publishers said "no" their request to stay out of the service should have been honored.[/citation]

if it was up to what the middle men want, you would pay money every time you want to see a movie, listen to a song... listen to some of the crap that the middle men said during the vhs era before movies went to it, its disturbing, or more recently the mp3 era, or even when you could just buy a song and listen to it till the record wore out.

[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]I guess Redbox and Blockbuster shouldn't give out promo codes either.[/citation]

you have anyidea how much of a (blank)storm was casued by the idea of lending out a movie back in the day? it came to the point where they went to court to be able to lend movies. in japan nintendo led the way to outlaw renting games at all, and police enforce this more than anti prostitution laws way.

[citation][nom]v1ze[/nom]It could also be that Amazon is eating this cost as a way of potentially getting new customers through extra features.[/citation]

no, most of the cost in a book goes toward printing it, transporting, and some advertising. id say on a 20$ book, its about half the cost if not 15$ of it. if you cut all the fat off of it for digital, its probably closer to at most 10$ a book, im guessing between 5 and 10 for wholesale. amazon is probably breaking even, and many of these may cost far less than that.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]everygamer[/nom]Booksellers already put DRM on books, books purchased from B&N and Amazon can not be moved to another e-reader unless that e-reader is supported by their service. A good example is if you purchased a book on the Nook, you will not be able to read it on the Amazon Fire unless you can install the Nook App on the Fire.[/citation]

i should have been more clear. I was talking about physical books. If publishers invented some technology where only that person's eyes can see the words in the book, i'm sure they would rush to print physical books like this in the store shelves...

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]most of the cost in a book goes toward printing it, transporting, and some advertising. id say on a 20$ book, its about half the cost if not 15$ of it. if you cut all the fat off of it for digital, its probably closer to at most 10$ a book, im guessing between 5 and 10 for wholesale. amazon is probably breaking even, and many of these may cost far less than that.[/citation]

This is exactly right. Furthermore, with digital, there's no such thing as a shortage and the availability of the digital medium is becoming more universal every year. Write a book, publish it to the digital market and the world has nearly instant access.

There are still advertising costs (more money available for advertising!), and those who love and/or collect print books should still have that option - but eventually this might become a special order. With free two-day shipping with Amazon Prime!

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]libman[/nom]Ever hear of a Library![/citation]
Our library has had digital download of books BEFORE Amazon did! Granted you had 2 weeks to read the book in epub format...(if you did not remove the drm first) :)

Witch only takes about 2 seconds

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
blah blah blah over 2000 years of precedent of loaning scrolls and books so authors can shut it. their arguement is moot as far as i am concerned. when music and movies and tv shows stop being broadcast over the air then the RIAA and MPAA can have a leg to stand on also precedent set since 1940's alsoand since cassette recording on radios was introduced in the 1970's
same old whiney cry baby story that has been repeatedly shot down in courts of law all over the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.