U.S. Galaxy S3 to Receive Android 4.1 in 'Coming Months'

Status
Not open for further replies.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I am running a very early alpha of the 4.1 jellybean based Cyanogenmod on my HTC ONE V.
My experience running 4.1 versus the 4.0.3 operating system is vastly superior in terms of responsiveness, and the effect of 'Project butter' is quite noticeable.

I just wish that the companies would release the updates faster, 4.1 has been released by google for quite some time.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Key Lime Pie will be out for my GNex by the time the S3 gets JellyBean.
If it wasn't for the delay of the updates, I would have gotten an S3.

LG Optimus Nexus FTW!

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Azathoth[/nom]I am running a very early alpha of the 4.1 jellybean based Cyanogenmod on my HTC ONE V.My experience running 4.1 versus the 4.0.3 operating system is vastly superior in terms of responsiveness, and the effect of 'Project butter' is quite noticeable.I just wish that the companies would release the updates faster, 4.1 has been released by google for quite some time.[/citation]
Don't put full, or even most, blame on companies like Samsung, Motorola, HTC, etc. Most if not all the blame lies strictly with the carriers.

I personally have the Droid Bionic. It's a great phone hardware wise, but Bionic users have been treated poorly by Verizon. We are months late getting our ICS upgrade but for several months Motorola has sent build after build to Verizon only to have it rejected. Finally this Friday ICS goes to soak test for the Bionic with a push OTA next week.

For all of Apple's fault, Google could take a lesson from them. Apple demands to the carriers that they and they alone control the OS. They don't have to deliver it to the carriers for approval and to have bloatware from the carriers added in. They themselves do it and they themselves deliver to the customer.

Google is large enough, especially now that they own Motorla's mobile division, that they could start "pushing their weight around" and making some similar demands on the carriers. There's no reason there needs to be customization between every Android phone model like the carriers insist on.

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Pretty pathetic how terrible every company is with releasing updates to their products. It took almost a year for android 4 on my htc evo 3d. You would think a flagship phone would have a bit more support behind it rather than being months late to the party. Terrible terrible support.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
root your phone, uninstall the bloatware and get updates in a timely manner. I''ve had Jellybean on my longer supported captivate for a few weeks, now.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]egilbe[/nom]root your phone, uninstall the bloatware and get updates in a timely manner. I''ve had Jellybean on my longer supported captivate for a few weeks, now.[/citation]
This is fine advice for people who are technically savvy and are willing to brick their phones and pay another $400+ to get a new one. For most people however, this really isn't an option.

I too could have a JB mod on my Bionic, but I need my phone working. I can't risk bricking it. What's really needed is for the consumer to stand up and tell the carriers "No". It's sickening how they act as if they own the phones we pay for.

wingman123

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]...They don't have to deliver it to the carriers for approval and to have bloatware from the carriers added in. They themselves do it and they themselves deliver to the customer.[/citation]

Apple guys adding bloatware to the iphone and delivering it to the customer themselves. lol

G

Sprint already quietly released 4.1 for the GS3. You do have to root, but its the official release.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Here in Luxembourg we have the same problem. The carriers receive the update and then take months to add their own crap onto it. Like apps that link you to some german online shop (WTF !).
So everythime there is an update I have to browse my app and remove all the crap that pollutes my phone.

Also there can be 1-2 month between updates depending on the carrier. Luckily I have a carrier that updates faster than the others, my brother is less lucky.

6kaine9

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
All you fools need to buy an unlocked android phone (Samsung Galaxy Nexus). I bought mine for $400 retail and am currently running v4.1.2 (it just upgraded OTA). And let's not forget to mention my extravagant monthly bill of $30 for 1500 minutes and 30MB data (i use wifi).

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
It's funny, you can get like 10 different versions of jelly bean off the internet from nerds in their mom's basement, but Verizon and Samsung can't get their $**t together and release JB in a reasonable amount of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.