Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I guess these early-birds....

*puts on sunglasses*

...didn't get the worm.

*YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAA*

Also, in before Apple flame war...

G

Its an iPhone not a smartphone. Cant expect it to tell time.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Delete every repeating alarm you have until we release a fix for a stupid problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place? I mean seriously, why isn't the alarm tied to the current Time? Is it 10AM on Monday? No, ok, wait and check again later.

And as others have pointed out, if this was simply a problem with counting seconds or something, the alarms should have gone off early, not late. I.e. 5-hours into the day was only 4AM instead of the expected 5AM, but somehow, your alarm didn't go off until 6AM? Sounds fishy to me.

This is my software engineer outrage directed at their disturbingly lax quality control (I'm in the aerospace industry, I know how to validate code). I'd be even more upset if I owned an iPhone.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Software engineer outrage? Please. You aren't a software engineer because, if you were, you would know that stuff like this happens all the time. There are bug checks, thousands of them, and countless hours spent trying to break things but who the hell thinks to check if the alarm still works correctly after day light savings time? Seriously? And even if you were worried about that how would you check it? You can't set the time on the phone manually.

Now, something to really complain about is how Apple managed to break something that worked flawlessly in a previous version without adding any new features. That is something to complain about.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom] ...You can't set the time on the phone manually....[/citation]

That's a really retarded OS, then. If one needs to do that because of a different location/SIM card, then they're screwed.
I have not encountered a single device yet that is supposed to show you the time and not be able to manually set it if needed. Even atomic clocks have that feature.

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Old School WM 6.5 device woke me up at exactly the right time. :)

lol not much of a big bash since WM had its share of Daylight Savings fixes in the past too.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
I have 5 different alarms

i have an alarm for monday and wednesday mornings at 6:45am so that i can wake up and get my daughter to school before work....

it was 6:53am when i woke up and the alarm did NOT go off!!!!

tomorrow i need to get up at 5:am so looks like i will have to use my OLD alarm clock to wake up.....

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
God apple are useless...

we in Aus just went ON to daylight savings time.. which meant the bug was ok, cause the worst that happened was you turned up an hr early everywhere...

but I doubt they will have fixed it when we come OFF of it... and everyone turns up an hr LATE!

seriously, why do people keep supporting Apple?

G

Y'allz a bunch of fakers with your non-iphone iphones. All a bunch of copies. I always use two alarms. iphone was late this morning, but my other had my back. Deleted and re-entered my alarm in like 5 seconds. Big deal.

dsolom3

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Just shows how truly incompetent AND lazy Aplle Corp. really is. I mean, they had 3 WEEKS to fix the goddamn bug! They are truly coding it wrong if they cannot make simple bugfixes like that in 3 weeks for their biggest cash-cow toy. I guess they believe that their marketing grip on customers is truly iron.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Delete every repeating alarm you have until we release a fix for a stupid problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place? I mean seriously, why isn't the alarm tied to the current Time? Is it 10AM on Monday? No, ok, wait and check again later.And as others have pointed out, if this was simply a problem with counting seconds or something, the alarms should have gone off early, not late. I.e. 5-hours into the day was only 4AM instead of the expected 5AM, but somehow, your alarm didn't go off until 6AM? Sounds fishy to me.This is my software engineer outrage directed at their disturbingly lax quality control (I'm in the aerospace industry, I know how to validate code). I'd be even more upset if I owned an iPhone.[/citation]
Ooooohhh, a software engineer in the aerospace industry. Well then, I guess I have to take everything you say as the gospel when it comes to programming.

I'm also a software engineer, but I work in the lowly field of embedded systems for automotive, so my opinion shouldn't carry as much weight as yours.

I have worked with countless algorithms relating to time/date calculations and I can come up with a few off the top of my head that would get "fooled" by daylight savings time. The clue lies in the fact that repeating alarms are affected but not individual alarms.

I could see a programmer dividing the week up into 10,080 minutes and having something like Sunday midnight as being 0. Each day has 1,440 minutes so to set a repeating alarm you only need an initial offset and each subsequent alarm would be "offset + (day * 1,440)". If you didn't adjust your offset using this type of algorithm, then your alarms would all be 1 hour late, just like what happened.

Of course, it's still a bug that should have been tested. But your comments like "why isn't it tied to system time" are truly ignorant and make me wonder whether you really are a programmer at all.

peanut_bully

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]...but I work in the lowly field of embedded systems for automotive, so my opinion shouldn't carry as much weight as yours..[/citation]

For a normal person waking up an hour late or early is an inconvenience (depending on how strict your boss is). For a commercial airliner to make up or waste an hour in the air due to the AFC thinking its an hour behind or ahead of schedule is dangerous. Then there's the effects of landing slots, terminal availability, scheduled fuel/food/cleaning services, etc... No one is saying anybody's job is more or less important. I don't want to clean sewage and I'm very thankful that there are people willing to do it. But realize that qualification in the aviation industry is not trivial.

The issue is that the alarm worked fine on previous versions but now it doesn't. And Apple doesn't feel compelled enough to release a fix immediately, implying they think the problem is not too serious. So yes - if Apple were in the aviation industry they would have perished a long time ago due to lack of QA.

Status
Not open for further replies.