U.S. Report: 2 Satellites Attacked By Chinese Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Eh, who cares? The important thing is that no personal information was stolen, no nuclear war was initiated, and they fixed the problem. I don't see how this is even news, I mean we are talking almost 4 years ago now, obviously this did not have any sort of significant impact on the world or anything.

G

And if a nuclear war had been initiated you wouldn't have anything to say about it.

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]Eh, who cares? The important thing is that no personal information was stolen, no nuclear war was initiated, and they fixed the problem. I don't see how this is even news, I mean we are talking almost 4 years ago now, obviously this did not have any sort of significant impact on the world or anything.[/citation]
Just hack couple of GPS satellite and see airplanes come crashing down. This has the potential to go worse than 9/11. No need to panic, right? huu?

CTT

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Even so, it's absurd to suggest that China's ongoing global strategy, much like the United States', involves some asymmetrical tactics including so-called cyber warfare.

You are wrong in this assumption. China has dedicated military units for for this purpose.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
China is the next biggest threat to the world after Islam Terrorist. They wanted to rule the whole world..........

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Well, the last World War was the first introduction of chemical warfare from Germany, not really a surprise cyber warfare would be the weapon of choice in a World War III setting. Especially from a country like China, with a super firewall that blocks anyone outside of China from peeking through. Hacker's paradise.

CarbonJoe

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Well, the last World War was the first introduction of chemical warfare from Germany, not really a surprise cyber warfare would be the weapon of choice in a World War III setting. Especially from a country like China, with a super firewall that blocks anyone outside of China from peeking through. Hacker's paradise.[/citation]
You better re-check your history... Germany used chemical weapons in WW 1.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I don't agree with the no need to care position. But there is no reason to be scared, neither looking at the whole country as a threat. Cyber warfare is a fact (just remember the cost of Sasser as being larger than building the World Trade Center). Just when we started to get accostumed to the end of cold war with Russia, don't start the game again with China, pls.
Because the game is finding a threat and scaring the population just to get control over them...

conan edog95

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
[citation][nom]lockhrt999[/nom]Just hack couple of GPS satellite and see airplanes come crashing down. This has the potential to go worse than 9/11. No need to panic, right? huu?[/citation]

The planes use the magnetic heading insted of the GPS

G

I'm not sure why but I'm starting to doubt those studies.... I wonder if its all just a propaganda against china....
Why can't we see studies about american hackers against other countries too?

weaselsmasher

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
[citation][nom]doctorpink[/nom]I'm not sure why but I'm starting to doubt those studies.... I wonder if its all just a propaganda against china....Why can't we see studies about american hackers against other countries too?[/citation]

...we are skilled enough to not get caught in a manner that generates articles on news sites?

Of COURSE there's constant attempts to penetrate other countries' information infrastructure, especially nuclear-armed rivals with orbital capabilities. Any country which doesn't do so will be saying "sir" and "master" to those who do. Duh. Is there anyone so stupidly naive to think otherwise? Is there any pot-head still mewling "can't we all just get along" when history has already conclusively answered that question?

The news here is not that the Chinese are trying to hack our satellites. Of course they are. It's that we did such a poor job of infosec that they SUCCEEDED.

Status
Not open for further replies.