Ubisoft Going Greener by Ditching Game Manuals

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I also read the manuals. I really don't like playing the tutoriuals, they seem to be a waist of time. WIth a manual I can look through it and get the info I need much, much faster. I also like reading books on paper rather than using the computer to read books. I'm just that kind of guy I guess.

Spoony

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
3 things will happen here with this, 1 the CD key will go on the Disc its self and the other is you have to print out a manual if you want to read it during the game for any reason. and last but not least the price will stay the same of go up because i can bet my life that it wont come down in price even though they are saving money on the produstion cost's.

its all bullshit if you ask me just another was to screw us gamers and give us less for our money yet again

G

The game manual was one reason not to pirate a game. i guess they figure since they've got 'uncrackable' drm, they dont' need to bother with any more manuals. some games need a manual, especially if they are complex.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]aussiemuscle[/nom]The game manual was one reason not to pirate a game. i guess they figure since they've got 'uncrackable' drm, they dont' need to bother with any more manuals. some games need a manual, especially if they are complex.[/citation]

Uh, it will have a manual.
There will be a file on the disc.

I'm not entirely sure a game manual of either type would help you much anyway unless it only contained pictures. Do you read?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Why not make ALL games available online at sites like D2D? Now that'd be green. Maybe they can make a game that can run on Linux, now, considering they got Linux installed on a potato.

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]bogcotton[/nom]I read only the comments here.Not only because I read this on IGN a few days ago, but also because I now refuse to even aknowledge that Ubisoft exists.Splinter Cell: Conviction being crippled by this new DRM is making me want to break down in tears over the dwindling of honest, small time - enthusiast game developers.[/citation]

First of all, from what I've been told that Conviction is supposed to have about 5 hour single player but there's supposed to be some form of multi-player.

That aside, for enthusiast game developers there aren't that many around, though some games like 'Melty Blood' were done by small individual groups. Problem is that you wont find it on any shelf at all and I dare say what method you'd have to get it least I want the RAA (or something like that) to get dudes in black suits to knock on m'door but I think you understand what I'm talkin' about

V3ctor

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I have friends that prefer to buy games because of having the dvd, the box and the manuals, they don't even consider buying games on Steam...

Bottom line:

Without the manuals, there's less value in holding a physical copy. Anyway, it's Ubisoft... I'll never buy anything from them until they remove that retarded DRM

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
The days where the manual was a part of the game are gone. No longer do you open it and find easter eggs or little snapshots of development, or the prologue, or even the interesting stuff. Just stats, control buttons and stupid warnings about epilepsy (hint; if you know you have a life threatening brain defect, you should probably already know that video games trigger it)

sunsanvil

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I'm another one who reads the manuals...at least when there is one of substance, which I grant is not often anymore (which maybe speaks a little to the sad state of games these days...if the manual doesn't have much substance, the game probably doesn't either).

This will date me a little, but I remember playing games like Ultima 5, 6, or 7, when the manual...no, the BOOK that came with (not to mention the cloth map) was indispensable to playing the game. Ah, those were the days...

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
"greenhouse gases equivalent of over 6,000 lbs of CO2, and wastewater of almost 15,000 gallons."
When will the USs (that pretend to be the most advanced nation) adopt the metric system. Even the backward British are adopting it lately. :D Hello, it 21st century and not the Middle Ages. ;)
All nations used to have their own measurement systems too but most have already converted.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Jonnydough[/nom]Uh, it will have a manual.There will be a file on the disc.I'm not entirely sure a game manual of either type would help you much anyway unless it only contained pictures. Do you read?[/citation]
I wouldn't chalk it up to incompetency or inability to read, but rather something like having a novel in text on paper in the "old-school" paper or hardback format versus something like reading it on the Kindle or iPad. For many, it's just a matter of having something tangible in your hands. Not to mention, I highly doubt these new manual formats would include anywhere near the thought and hard work that goes into quite a few game manuals - there will be a lot of content to be missed.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I read the manuals, usually on the bus on my way to work. I don't mind them not including the manual. Every time I read it hoping to find something I didn't know, usually there isn't.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]SteveLord[/nom]If anyone seriously thinks they will pass savings onto the MSRP of the games, you're so wrong it's sad.[/citation]

I don't think anyone seriously thought that... the exact opposite, actually.

CaptainBib

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Manuals were great a decade or so ago, now they could just print the controls on the case's back cover and it would be more complete than some.

I also stopped buying Ubisoft games years ago, but Farcry 2 and AC2 were great for the PC; 'Uncrackable' heh...

Status
Not open for further replies.