Ubisoft Leak Reveals Wii U Release Date in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

dane332

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
i love e3!

every year we get crazy rumors and speculations insane accusations and in the end we all win!

it gets me so pumped and excited every year!

amuffin

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
I find a problem here, especially during gaming. Your eyes create a depth of field when you focus on one object, in this case the WII U but blur out the surrounding objects in this case the TV. Basically we're going to have to look back in fourth between the tv and wii u! I don't know about this one....

zhihao50

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]jdog2pt0[/nom]"560 MB of which will be dedicated to the console's operating system"That seems a bit excessive.[/citation]

Still better then what you get in the PC world. Maybe they want to have task like chats and web broswer running on the background or something..

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I wanted to love the Nintendo Wii (Owned one) the controls where for some games really awesome. The idea behind the control system its self was awesome I personally preferred it to the Xbox motion system.

But bottom line is Nintendo really dropped the ball on the Wii there where zero decent Wii only releases. In fact the only ones I can think of are the Mario releases, Zelda, and Metroid.

Personally instead of designing this huge cumbersome controller thing. I think Nintendo should have just beefed the Wii's specs up. Refined the controls a tad signed a few more exclusive deals for games then ran with that.

I also think if the Wii - U releases at a price point above 250 its going to be a flop. People bought the Original Wii and got burned. I don't see people spending more for this new Wii with Nintendo current reputation.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
I'm much more excited for the power of this system than before, if true. A 6770 is quite a step ahead of the originally rumored 4670-based GPU, and when you combine this with 1-1.5 GB of VRAM, it's looking like the Wii U will be quite a step a head of the current consoles which is contrary to what many people are thinking (which was that Wii U would be similar but not much more potent than the 360/PS3).

It certainly makes this gif much more interesting:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aDY7DwaAY1Q/TeqOcVHDrjI/AAAAAAAAD9o/hfpNcJVY_EM/s1600/The5thNintendoElement.gif

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Unreal Engine 4 you say? The Xbox 360 and PS3 are crying. [citation][nom]magicandy[/nom]I'm much more excited for the power of this system than before, if true. A 6770 is quite a step ahead of the originally rumored 4670-based GPU, and when you combine this with 1-1.5 GB of VRAM, it's looking like the Wii U will be quite a step a head of the current consoles which is contrary to what many people are thinking (which was that Wii U would be similar but not much more potent than the 360/PS3).It certainly makes this gif much more interesting:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aDY7DwaA [...] lement.gif[/citation]

I imagine you are more likely to see 1.5 GB (after the 560mb of RAM is given to the OS) of general purpose RAM like the Xbox 360 with a frame buffer of 50-100mb of EDRAM. In theory that means something closer to 768 MB of VRAM and the other half going to the CPU. Obviously, developers can use more or less as desired.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
I quoted 1-1.5 GB for VRAM usage considering the other 512 will be dedicated for the OS, meaning much less overhead to worry about for the games themselves. Remember, the 360 uses 512 MB of unified memory, total, that's VRAM, CPU RAM and RAM dedicated to the OS all shared.

If we're talking 1.5 GB of unified usage RAM when OS-reserved RAM is already taken care of, I can confidently assume at least 1 GB of that RAM will more often go to the GPU. That would give the Wii U the amount of memory just for its CPU that the current systems have for everything combined.

Either way it's safe to say that, if this is true, RAM will not be a problem at all for the Wii U, and if MS and Sony are preparing more modest successors as has been rumored, they might want to consider changing their game plan if Nintendo is finally getting its act together in the power department.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
(wish Tom's Guide forums had an edit button)

This isn't even considering the CPU (especially for a console) requires much less RAM than the GPU. For less CPU intensive games developers could choose to go even higher than 1 GB for the GPU. The Wii U is looking to be around the current mid range PC specs, which for a console is god damn powerful. If these specs are accurate we're finally going to see console games give PC games a run for their money. I miss the days when console games got me excited for their graphics.

For comparison, when the original Xbox/PS2/Gamecube released, they were also about the same power as current midrange PCs, and that was enough to get PC developers to follow suit and make nicer looking games. The Wii U might finally give the PC market the graphical renaissance it hasn't had since 2006-2007.

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]I find a problem here, especially during gaming. Your eyes create a depth of field when you focus on one object, in this case the WII U but blur out the surrounding objects in this case the TV. Basically we're going to have to look back in fourth between the tv and wii u! I don't know about this one....[/citation]

Peripheral vision?

Plus I trust that they will not be foolish enough to program games that will require to focus your attention to both screens simultaneously. I assume all you will need is a quick glance down once in a while.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
If rumors are true about the 6770, then I think Nintendo just threw a bunch of wrenches into Sony's and MS's next gen console plans. What next, the Wii U runs their own version of Android and has their own app store up similar to Amazon's app store?

G

i agree, get rid of that anti social controller and invest in a 7770 - lower power and more efficient similar to a 6850

this is great news tho, since i have no plans to buy a nintendo but possibly a ps4 and this will force those lazy money hungry companies to come out with a 7850 joy joy

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]zhihao50[/nom]Still better then what you get in the PC world. Maybe they want to have task like chats and web broswer running on the background or something..[/citation]

ram is almost free 8 gig is so little money i rather it used more to get faster then less for cheaper ram and more hardisk reads.

Status
Not open for further replies.