Uh oh I did it again

May 15, 2018
I have spilled juice on my dell ladtop and I clean it off with a napkin at school then I put in in my book bag and came home and pulged it up and try to turn it on but it won’t so I layer it on my vent for 20mins still ain’t working so what should I do plz help

Solution
Sounds like it is fried. If you spill liquid on electronics you need to power them off immediately and not power them back on until it is dried.

You could try and open up the laptop (unplugged and battery removed if possible) and pour some high percent Isopropy alcohol over the board and see if it will work. But again sound like you fried it.

You can removed the HDD/SSD and get your data if that is the case.

richiestang_78

Estimable
Mar 3, 2015
Sounds like it is fried. If you spill liquid on electronics you need to power them off immediately and not power them back on until it is dried.

You could try and open up the laptop (unplugged and battery removed if possible) and pour some high percent Isopropy alcohol over the board and see if it will work. But again sound like you fried it.

You can removed the HDD/SSD and get your data if that is the case.

Solution

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
At a minimum take the battery out and leave it somewhere warm and dry for a few days before trying again.
The trouble with juice though is when it drys it leaves behind a sticky residue that may need to be cleaned off wherever it has ended up, which might be impossible.

If it seems totally dead and you don't want to pay someone to fix it then the last ditch effort when you have given up hope is to totally dismantle it and wash every part thoroughly in water until all trace of the juice is gone and then leave it to dry for a week before reassembling. This has a small chance of success for the amount of effort though.

Water does not hurt electronics, what it does do though is conduct electricity to places it's not supposed to go and then the electricity fries things. So as long as there is no power source it's safe to wash something in water as long as it's completely dry before putting any power back into it. The only other risk is corrosion. Liquids get into all the tiny little crevices and take a lot longer to dry out than you probably think.

For all the doubters, I once resurrected a PC that was killed by cat pee by dismantling it and hosing it down with a garden hose and scraping the corrosion off the contacts of the RAM. From totally dead to working just fine thanks to a garden hose. Not a fun job though. I even had one repair guy suggest a cold rinse in the dishwasher (but who want's cat pee inside the dishwasher.... ever.. )

USAFRet

Illustrious

That needs to be taken apart completely.
The juice has run down inside the laptop. Now "dry" it left behind a whole bunch of gunk.

But, from your description...it is too late. It is probably shorted out/dead.

Only way to really know is to take it apart.

The water hurts the electronics, you will have corrosion when it will dry. So never wash a board with water, you will have a problem after.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011

Not really, the metals in electronics will not corrode from being exposed to clean water once. Does your copper bottom pot corrode because you washed it? Minerals and impurities in the water do react and leaving things wet for a period of time will cause corrosion. But if it's dead anyway giving it a one time wash in clean water will not make it worse, providing you make sure it's completely dry afterwards.