Ultraviolet Format Close to Commercial Release

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Cloud storage = more control and more targeted advertising = more money for them
Meanwhile ISPs increase bandwidth while maintaining old caps on said bandwidth = more money for them.

Cloud storage + bandwidth caps...

If I had any evidence I'd say this is exactly what they want. It is mutually beneficial.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]all that said, how many people are watching 200 dvd quality movies a month, 50 720p or 25 1080p?[/citation]

Im sure it wasnt intended, but I still tend to get annoyed when people make these kind of blanket statements, as if everybody out there with an internet connection only has one user behind it. Some of us have families, large ones at that, with multiple ways to stream and watch stuff online. Trust me, it can add up very quickly.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]Great, a new format. I haven't even bought a Blu-ray player yet.[/citation]

Actually, if you look at the article there is no indication of any involvement by a Blu-ray player. If anything, you need a decent phone or webcam to scan the UPC for registration. At worst, there may be a firmware update for the player but without a unique ID on each disc it can't make any better ID than the UPC itself.

What isn't clear is how they intend to enforce this. Printing UPC codes is no big deal. There is plenty of free software for it and a small file could contain images for thousands of movies. The question is whether they really care or are just going to look the other way for the sake of advertising revenue.

In this respect the ISPs shouldn't be a problem. They just get cut in for a piece of the action. Tracking when bandwidth is being used in relation to Ultraviolent as opposed to Something Else that may actually involved the same content is not at all difficult.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]that said, how many people are watching 200 dvd quality movies a month, 50 720p or 25 1080p?[/citation]

Hell i watch like 6 movies or more a day in 1080. thats not hard to do. and i was never a real fan of dvd "quality". Though not really the point. Why boast about super high speeds when they give you dismal caps like 200ggis or caps at all for that matter since almost all internet traffic that comes through their network isn't even a charge to them. I mean THEY don't even pay for this bandwidth. They pay for outgoing bandwidth. so look at your upstream thats what your really using. they are just ass raping you for bandwidth thats as far as it matters is free to them. I'm honestly tired of these kinds of narrow minded blind comments. O and that doesn't count the other 5 people in my house. which i know serve games and watch hulu and god knows what else. pretty much 24/7.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]alxianthelast[/nom]Apple and Microsoft both need to stick picking their butts with regard to content that CAN'T be served online due to their massive size and bitrate.[/citation]

Appul and Macrosift both need to stock packing their bits with regard to content that CAN'T be served online due to their massive size and butrate.

Lyrick

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
This works for me. I have a personal collection of 500+ DVD Movies, Blu ray Movies and Television Series in both formats all in physical formats (even some HD-DVD ones). The thought of digitizing my entire collection is daunting in both time and drive space required. This service will effectively give me portable access to my entire library, with almost no investment on my end. I will probably run through those 12 devices in my lifetime, but even if I do I effectively lose nothing.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
It's a new form of drm for movies the old one well has been cracked already now they are adding it to digital files,dvd's and blu-ray chances are there will be firmware updates for these devices.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
There must be something missing. If all I have to do is scan the UPC, then hello local business supply store with a UPC printer. They could not be that stupid, greedy yes.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Errrr... I still have no interest in watching a compressed, non-highdef audio version of my blu-rays because it's "convenient" to buy all new DRM crammed hardware.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Okay, I can see where the standard DRM=Bad argument is coming from, but I was still intrigued when I read this part: "For consumers, this means that for every Blu-ray and DVD they've purchased over the years, they'll also unlock a cloud-stored digital version "

How backward compatible is this going to be? Sure DRM-laden new stuff will be a PITA, but I sure won't mind a digitally backed up version of all the stuff I already have. Also, I like the idea of being able to let my parents watch my collection rather than have to wait until they see me a few times a year to borrow stuff.

blackened144: You gave me a good chuckle

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Check watch: No, it's not April 1st.

Research UltraViolet web site OK, maybe this isn't so bad. Now I know that it's not a new disc format; it's a marketing / labeling thing, tied to an authentication and streaming technology. If they want to do that, that's fine with me. I was just thinking the other day what a massive amount of storage around the world is dedicated to identical copies of the same files - e.g. DVD rips - and how it would be easier if simply purchasing a card with a use-rights code on it allowed you unlimited personal use of and access to a copy of the movie stored online. You wouldn't need 5 TBs to store your movie collection anymore; just enough to store the copy of the movie you were streaming or transcoding for use at that moment.

I object to the "12 devices in a lifetime" concept. That could be made so much more friendly by adjusting it just a bit to be "8 active devices at any one time." That way, when your old laptop / BR-player / internet TV / cable box / projector / whatever needs to be upgraded or replaced, you don't have to lose as much as 8.3% of your entire movie collection with it. If you have 1000 DVDs at $10 per, that's 8.3% * $10,000, or $830! That just feels kinda unnecessary to me. They need to be able to expire devices, or no one is going to want to upgrade any of their video equipment anymore. Plus, what happens if someone guesses your code and uses it to register devices w/out your knowledge? I imagine that would be a fun customer services discussion:

Customer: No, really, I've only ever DL'ed the movie to my computer, and only then once!

Cust Svc: But we have evidence that you've DL'ed to 11 other devices over anonymizing websites, and have attempted on thousands of others. And we also found your download key on a "for sale" list on a black-market forum commonly visited by hackers and other society-endangering felons. Did you honestly think you would get away with that? An MPAA legal response team will be dispatched to your premises shortly. Be prepared to pay for the full production costs of the movie forthwith, along with the production costs of any other movie we find on your premises, in any form.

Customer: But I don't even know what an anonymizing website is!

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Cool!

I'll just go to the local walmart and start taking pictures of all the UPC codes

HEHEHEHE!

Really though this is why Disney and apple wont sign.

This idea is about as dumb as the 99 cent coin.

this is why disney and

twistedrat

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
What consumers want is Neflix like service better catalog (the greedy license holders are to blame) with PPV of newest releases (same here, greedy license holders are to blame). Subscription price can go up a good deal if content is fresh and better overall than it is a the moment.

It's all about this to succeed in a BIG way: EASY TO USE, ACCESS BASED SERVICE (all-you-can-eat), ANYTIME (24/7), ANYWHERE (worldwide) & ANY INTERNET ENABLED DEVICE (TV, PC, iPhone, iPad, Android and so on)

Any streaming cloud based service that is based on buying each movie or TV-serie is built to fail. I don't feel a movie I watch one time is worth buying on DVD, BR disc or on UV network (I bet I'm not the only one either).

The time customers built there own libraries are over and gone, it's high time for the license holders to get a grasp and realize this.

All cloud based services face the same problems that really need to be solved:
* ISP data cap and usage based billing hinder cloud based services
* Current high US $ per GB of data over internet
* Lack of transparent internet delivery by ISP
* Monopoly position for cable companies to offer high bandwidth internet in large portion of the US

Status
Not open for further replies.