Unable To Install Official Drivers

Kallakix2015

Estimable
May 18, 2015
I purchased a Toshiba Sattelite L50D-C-16V yesterday. It came with Windows 8.1 installed and I wanted to install an SSD I had and run Windows 10 off of it. So I swapped the drives, installed Windows 7 ( only OS I have on disc). But after installing Windows 7 I was unable to install anything at all. I first tried network drivers, If I download the official windows 7 ethernet drivers and run the set up, it progresses and then says something like 'filefind failed' and also says 'unable to install may be in deep sleep mode' or something like that.

I also tried updating the BIOS, but the same thing happened, the installer runs and then fails or just does nothing at all and doesn't say anything. Can anyone help with this? I read that laptops in different countries use different hardware for things like wifi adapters, so maybe I need to install a different countries drivers?

These errors were after a fresh installation, I have also re installed the os in the last 24 hours, that did not fix the issue.

I'm in the UK and downloaded the drivers directly from the toshiba website for windows 7 64bit.

Please help, thank you.

Solution
Hi

I would put old HDD back and use that to create a recovery disk
(probably 8GB USB memory stick or several DVD's required.)

This will get all the required drivers for chipset, ethernet, wireless etc

Idealy put SSD in USB Tray or connect to another PC and remove all partitions (Win 7) and wipe begining of disk to make SSD look like a new disk

Use the Recovery disk(s) to restore Win 8.1 to the SSD.

Make a few changes to ensure Win 8 (8.1) is set up to support SSD

Then upgrade to Win 10

Note there maybe bios settings specific to Win 8 or latter which Win 7 does not like
you seemed to have got round secure boot already

regards
Mike Barnes

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

I would put old HDD back and use that to create a recovery disk
(probably 8GB USB memory stick or several DVD's required.)

This will get all the required drivers for chipset, ethernet, wireless etc

Idealy put SSD in USB Tray or connect to another PC and remove all partitions (Win 7) and wipe begining of disk to make SSD look like a new disk

Use the Recovery disk(s) to restore Win 8.1 to the SSD.

Make a few changes to ensure Win 8 (8.1) is set up to support SSD

Then upgrade to Win 10

Note there maybe bios settings specific to Win 8 or latter which Win 7 does not like
you seemed to have got round secure boot already

regards
Mike Barnes

Solution